Jan 29, 2011, 12:45 PM EST
Rangers president Nolan Ryan said last week that the club was going to make it a priority to work out a contract extension with general manager Jon Daniels before spring training. It sounds like they are going to make good on that promise.
Daniels, who has been the general manager since 2005, has one year remaining on his current contract. There were some tiny rumblings that Daniels was going to exercise the opt-out clause in his contract in order to interview for the Mets general manager job, but that possibility was rendered moot once the Rangers played deep into October. Considering that the Mets could be on the brink of a change in ownership themselves, Daniels is better off staying put, anyway.
The Rangers still have some other issues to resolve prior to spring training, namely the contract situation with the arbitration-eligible Josh Hamilton, but an extension for Daniels seems like a foregone conclusion at this point.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 287
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (287)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)