Jan 29, 2011, 10:04 AM EST
UPDATE: According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Orioles want Vladimir Guerrero, but only on their terms. He reports the total worth of the O’s offer is somewhere around $4.5-5 million. I would assume that includes a lower base salary with some incentives.
7:15 PM, Friday: Well, this act is getting old. According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, the Orioles are “not close” to a contract with Guerrero. A source tells her they’d be “shocked” if there’s an announcement for tomorrow’s annual FanFest event.
The funny part is that Olney writes that the O’s are being told Guerrero currently has an $8 million offer, including incentives. Who knows if the offer is even legitimate, but I’m going to guess that over 60 percent of the money is incentive-based.
I’m not sure Vlad has many real options left, so wake me when it’s over.
6:38 PM, Friday: According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, Vladimir Guerrero is “making progress” in his talks with the Orioles.
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reported yesterday that Guerrero was “not excited” about his offer from the Orioles, which he reported was somewhere around $2 million. Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com later suggested that it was somewhere in the low-end of the $3-5 million range, but added that the Orioles weren’t going to increase their offer.
The Orioles should have the upper hand in negotiations, given the lack of options for Guerrero at this point, but perhaps they are willing to add more in performance-based incentives to make it worth his while.
Guerrero, who turns 36 in February, would become the regular designated hitter for the Orioles, pushing Luke Scott to left field. The Orioles have been looking for another starting pitcher all offseason, so they could presumably dangle either Felix Pie or Nolan Reimold as a trade chip.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (74)