Jan 29, 2011, 10:04 AM EDT
UPDATE: According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Orioles want Vladimir Guerrero, but only on their terms. He reports the total worth of the O’s offer is somewhere around $4.5-5 million. I would assume that includes a lower base salary with some incentives.
7:15 PM, Friday: Well, this act is getting old. According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, the Orioles are “not close” to a contract with Guerrero. A source tells her they’d be “shocked” if there’s an announcement for tomorrow’s annual FanFest event.
The funny part is that Olney writes that the O’s are being told Guerrero currently has an $8 million offer, including incentives. Who knows if the offer is even legitimate, but I’m going to guess that over 60 percent of the money is incentive-based.
I’m not sure Vlad has many real options left, so wake me when it’s over.
6:38 PM, Friday: According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, Vladimir Guerrero is “making progress” in his talks with the Orioles.
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reported yesterday that Guerrero was “not excited” about his offer from the Orioles, which he reported was somewhere around $2 million. Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com later suggested that it was somewhere in the low-end of the $3-5 million range, but added that the Orioles weren’t going to increase their offer.
The Orioles should have the upper hand in negotiations, given the lack of options for Guerrero at this point, but perhaps they are willing to add more in performance-based incentives to make it worth his while.
Guerrero, who turns 36 in February, would become the regular designated hitter for the Orioles, pushing Luke Scott to left field. The Orioles have been looking for another starting pitcher all offseason, so they could presumably dangle either Felix Pie or Nolan Reimold as a trade chip.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)