Jan 29, 2011, 10:04 AM EDT
UPDATE: According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Orioles want Vladimir Guerrero, but only on their terms. He reports the total worth of the O’s offer is somewhere around $4.5-5 million. I would assume that includes a lower base salary with some incentives.
7:15 PM, Friday: Well, this act is getting old. According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, the Orioles are “not close” to a contract with Guerrero. A source tells her they’d be “shocked” if there’s an announcement for tomorrow’s annual FanFest event.
The funny part is that Olney writes that the O’s are being told Guerrero currently has an $8 million offer, including incentives. Who knows if the offer is even legitimate, but I’m going to guess that over 60 percent of the money is incentive-based.
I’m not sure Vlad has many real options left, so wake me when it’s over.
6:38 PM, Friday: According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, Vladimir Guerrero is “making progress” in his talks with the Orioles.
Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reported yesterday that Guerrero was “not excited” about his offer from the Orioles, which he reported was somewhere around $2 million. Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com later suggested that it was somewhere in the low-end of the $3-5 million range, but added that the Orioles weren’t going to increase their offer.
The Orioles should have the upper hand in negotiations, given the lack of options for Guerrero at this point, but perhaps they are willing to add more in performance-based incentives to make it worth his while.
Guerrero, who turns 36 in February, would become the regular designated hitter for the Orioles, pushing Luke Scott to left field. The Orioles have been looking for another starting pitcher all offseason, so they could presumably dangle either Felix Pie or Nolan Reimold as a trade chip.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)