Jan 30, 2011, 4:38 PM EDT
There are only a couple of free agents remaining on the open market who could have real value in 2011. Justin Duchscherer is one of them.
The 33-year-old right-hander boasts an excellent 3.13 career ERA and 1.14 career WHIP across eight major league seasons. He has struggled to stay healthy in recent years, but his numbers have remained strong during the times that he has not on the disabled list and he told Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com last week that he is “pretty much 100 percent” heading into spring training this season.
The Nationals are hoping to land him, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com. The Mariners want him too, a source told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. The Orioles are also in the running, and they might have the best shot right now.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Baltimore is “in the lead” for Duchscherer and may have already given him a one-year major league contract offer.
The right-hander would probably get a chance to land one of the final spots in the O’s staring rotation this spring. Brian Matusz is a lock, Jeremy Guthrie is too. But Duchscherer could probably beat out some of the other young pitchers in Orioles camp if he simply shows that his hip is intact.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)