Jan 30, 2011, 4:38 PM EDT
There are only a couple of free agents remaining on the open market who could have real value in 2011. Justin Duchscherer is one of them.
The 33-year-old right-hander boasts an excellent 3.13 career ERA and 1.14 career WHIP across eight major league seasons. He has struggled to stay healthy in recent years, but his numbers have remained strong during the times that he has not on the disabled list and he told Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com last week that he is “pretty much 100 percent” heading into spring training this season.
The Nationals are hoping to land him, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com. The Mariners want him too, a source told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. The Orioles are also in the running, and they might have the best shot right now.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Baltimore is “in the lead” for Duchscherer and may have already given him a one-year major league contract offer.
The right-hander would probably get a chance to land one of the final spots in the O’s staring rotation this spring. Brian Matusz is a lock, Jeremy Guthrie is too. But Duchscherer could probably beat out some of the other young pitchers in Orioles camp if he simply shows that his hip is intact.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 2
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 38
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 59
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 70
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)