Jan 30, 2011, 2:42 PM EDT
From Jamey Newberg of The Newberg Report comes word that the Rangers have signed right-hander Dave Bush to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. It’s a deal that carries a $1 million base salary and another $1 million in performance-based incentives, if the veteran is able to land a spot on the big league roster.
The Rockies and Mets were both linked to Bush earlier this month, but nothing ever came of those negotiations.
Texas is a weird fit. Bush posted a poor 4.54 ERA and even uglier 1.51 WHIP in 31 starts and one relief appearance last season for the Brewers. Life in the National League Central in 2010 was pretty easy and it’s going to be a lot tougher for him on the other side.
Maybe Bush will be fine with starting the year at Triple-A and serving as rotation depth. The Rangers won’t want him making starts in the majors unless there’s an injury to the five or so better options that they have.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)