Chipper Jones is dealing with tendinitis in his surgically repaired left knee

Jan 31, 2011, 3:44 PM EST

Washington Nationals v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has an update on Chipper Jones, who “has been battling tendinitis in his surgically-repaired left knee.”

Jones downplayed the significance of the tendinitis, pointing out that he went through something similar following knee surgery in 1994 and calling it just “one of the steps along the way”  to recovery.

Now that you’re starting to get into the every day hustle bustle of getting yourself ready for spring training, you’ve got aches and pains. Tendinitis is just one of those steps you’ve got to get by. Ever since I’ve been in here every day getting treatment, I’ve had no limitations.

According to O’Brien, as part of that treatment Jones “wears a pad on his knee and cortisone, an anti-inflammatory, is electronically distributed through the skin.” He’s been taking batting practice regularly, but has yet to resume agility drills or take ground balls at third base since tearing his ACL on August 10.

He’s aiming to be ready for Opening Day, but the 39-year-old former MVP has quite a few hurdles to clear before then.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 31, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I am currently battling tendinitis in my Achilles. It is nagging, painful and if you’re not careful, it easily can lead to a ruptured tendon. Time and anti-inflammatory medication is the only fix aside from replacing the appendage in question with a mechanical version a la Empire Strikes Back. I think cyborgs are banned from the MLB, but I believe that’s not entirely clear in the active CBA. Given that I’m a giant wuss and not a professional athlete, I whine about it a lot and would never attempt to overdo it until I’m completely pain free. I’m sure Chipper will handle it better than I am and will receive much better medical attention. That said, as a Braves/Chipper fan, this concerns me greatly b/c tendinitis loves to linger, you know, like the Cranberries.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:20 PM

You can say that again.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:35 PM

• proudlycanadian - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Thank you!

2. jamie54 - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:39 PM

He won’t last the year.

3. macjacmccoy - Jan 31, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Chipper has an injury?! What a shocker. I never seen that one coming.

4. whynot22 - Jan 31, 2011 at 8:28 PM

If I’m a fan of an NL East team, I’d hope Chipper fights through this and stays in the lineup all season. He should be good for some of the worst 3B range in MLB and hit for zero power, but there’s no way he’ll get benched. If I’m a Braves fan on the other hand, I’m wondering why my GM is counting on this guy to be a middle of the lineup bat.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2789)
  2. W. Myers (2544)
  3. D. Ross (2210)
  4. C. McGehee (2134)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1987)
  1. J. Shields (1890)