Jan 31, 2011, 8:45 PM EDT
Jason Isringhausen hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors since undergoing Tommy John surgery in June of 2009 and hasn’t been an effective pitcher since 2007, but he’s still trying to keep his career alive.
According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Isringhausen threw approximately 30-35 pitches for Reds pitching coach Bryan Price in Arizona earlier today. He is hoping to receive a minor league contract with a spring training invite, but the Reds are still discussing the matter internally.
“He threw the ball fine, well enough to feel optimistic that with a Spring Training to build his arm strength, he could get back to being productive again,” Price said. “That is if he can stay healthy, which is a top concern for anybody coming off an arm injury.”
The 38-year-old right-hander posted an ugly 9.53 ERA over his first seven appearances with Triple-A Louisville after joining the Reds on a minor league contract last July, but was shut down with a strained right elbow less than one month later.
Isringhausen, a former two-time All-Star, has a 3.60 career ERA over 621 lifetime appearances and ranks 22nd all-time with 293 saves.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 36
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 11
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 28
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 32
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)