Freddy Garcia wants to play for the Yankees

Jan 31, 2011, 4:26 PM EDT

Freddy Garcia

The White Sox are apparently still interested in bringing back Freddy Garcia, but if you hear Freddy Garcia tell it, he’d rather be in New York. Courtesy of the translation services of one Nick Collias over at MLBTR:

“My preference is to be with the New York Yankees, and it’s not unreasonable to have that in mind, because I’ve demonstrated that I can be useful,” Garcia said. “A team like New York would be ideal for my age, [as would ] playing in a successful, media-heavy, demanding division. Without doubt it would be an inspiration.”

As I’ve written in the past, I think Garcia would be a disaster in the Bronx, but we’re living in “is he better than Sergio Mitre” land these days, so who knows?

1. phukyouk - Jan 31, 2011 at 4:42 PM

i bet cashman throws 5 mil at this guy. oh and um… i really want to play for the Yanks too.

2. xmatt0926x - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Can things be this bad for the Yankees that they have to bring in a stiff like this guy? Wow..

3. yankeesfanlen - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Um…Er…..Ah…..how about NO. Thank you for your interest in our organization, your resume is on file.

• phukyouk - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Sorry but we filled the worst possible pitcher to join the yankees not named Javy last week in Bartolo Colon. but hey. if he doesnt work out and you are still out of a job come July… who knows…..

• uyf1950 - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Guy’s Colon isn’t going to make the team. He was invited to spring training so he could “get in the best shape of his life” that’s all.

4. cintiphil - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:16 PM

So do I. Where can I sign up?

5. proudlycanadian - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Sign him please. The AL East is eager to face him.

6. uyf1950 - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:21 PM

To yankeesfanlen and phukyouk – It’s getting close to when pitchers and catchers have to report in fact it’s 2 weeks from today. As the saying goes “any port in a storm”. If Andy doesn’t give the Yankees a definite answer in the next week the Yankees are probably going to have to make a decision between signing Millwood, Garcia or keeping Mitre as the #5 starter until the trade deadline. I don’t know about you guy’s but of the 3 options Mitre is my last choice. Millwood would be the lesser of 2 evils in my book between him and Garcia but Garcia would be the lesser of 2 evils between him and Mitre. Of course Andy’s decision to return could make all this moot.

• phukyouk - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:31 PM

im going to disagree. between those 3 i’ll stick with Mitre over Millwood or Garcia. at the very least Mitre has been “pitching” in NY for 2 seasons now so he knows the ropes in that respect. we dont need more of him so Millwood and Garcia are out. im still sofa king angry about Mosley. i would love to know the thinking behind that. either way just stick with the 5 we got now (assuming that Andy isnt coming back) and pick someone up at the deadline. with those 3 its a “who sucks less” contest? noone wins.

• uyf1950 - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I agree with you about the contest. But in my opinion like I said Millwood is the best of the least desirable. At least he will give the Yankees innings. The other 2 not so much. Anyway I have a feeling that if worst come to worst at the trade deadline we might see Brackman called up from the minors if the picking are thin then.
        To jfk69 – Santana is the only pitcher on the Mets staff that they would have to mover to save payroll and unless they are willing to eat at least a part of that contract when they trade him I don’t see the Yankees taking it on. Right now Santana’s contract calls for $22.5M in 2011, $24M in 2012 , $25.5 in 2013 with a club option in 2014 for $25M or a $5.5M buyout. I can’t see the Yankees giving up players and picking up his entire contract. But you never know.

• phukyouk - Jan 31, 2011 at 8:58 PM

if the Yanks pick up Santana contract AND give up players im becoming a Curling fan.

7. jfk69 - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:31 PM

More useless bums………..Lets say goodbye to ped abuser Andy and find out if any of the rookies can make the cut. By the trade deadline there will be somebody looking to unload talent and payroll.
    The Mets come to mind.

8. baseballstars - Jan 31, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Can’t believe Cashman passed on Duchscherer, probably the best SP option available (and better than Mitre, it goes without saying). I’d take Garcia over Mitre, even if I think he’ll have some VERY bad games. Garcia actually had a decent season last year – he had more quality starts than horrible ones, and at this point, that’s all the Yankees can ask for out of what’s left to fill the fifth spot on the starting rotation. And he has experience pitching in a hitter’s park (in Chicago).

Plus, he looks like Dwayne Johnson (The Rock).

9. cintiphil - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:54 PM

This could be a bigger collapse that the Cardinals staff.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto