Jan 31, 2011, 4:54 PM EDT
jim edmonds’ agent paul cohen says edmonds will probably decide by early next week whether he’ll play in 2011
My guess that the deciding factor of whether or not Jim Edmonds plays next year is whether there is a team that actually wants to give him a roster spot. Given that we have not heard a single rumor about anyone interested in giving Jim Edmonds a roster spot, my suspicion is that his decision next week will be to retire.
I think he makes sense for the Braves — they desperately need a backup outfielder who can play center — but it would seem that the odds of that happening are pretty low.
Can’t wait for the “is Jim Edmonds a Hall of Famer?” debates in a couple of years. I suspect that he’ll get more support than Tim Raines has been getting recently, though I don’t think that’s necessarily logical. I’ll leave that for later though.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 34
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 71
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)