Jan 31, 2011, 4:54 PM EDT
jim edmonds’ agent paul cohen says edmonds will probably decide by early next week whether he’ll play in 2011
My guess that the deciding factor of whether or not Jim Edmonds plays next year is whether there is a team that actually wants to give him a roster spot. Given that we have not heard a single rumor about anyone interested in giving Jim Edmonds a roster spot, my suspicion is that his decision next week will be to retire.
I think he makes sense for the Braves — they desperately need a backup outfielder who can play center — but it would seem that the odds of that happening are pretty low.
Can’t wait for the “is Jim Edmonds a Hall of Famer?” debates in a couple of years. I suspect that he’ll get more support than Tim Raines has been getting recently, though I don’t think that’s necessarily logical. I’ll leave that for later though.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)