Jim Edmonds will probably retire next week

Jan 31, 2011, 4:54 PM EDT

Jim Edmonds Cubs

Jon Heyman tweets:

jim edmonds’ agent paul cohen says edmonds will probably decide by early next week whether he’ll play in 2011

My guess that the deciding factor of whether or not Jim Edmonds plays next year is whether there is a team that actually wants to give him a roster spot.  Given that we have not heard a single rumor about anyone interested in giving Jim Edmonds a roster spot, my suspicion is that his decision next week will be to retire.

I think he makes sense for the Braves — they desperately need a backup outfielder who can play center — but it would seem that the odds of that happening are pretty low.

Can’t wait for the “is Jim Edmonds a Hall of Famer?” debates in a couple of years. I suspect that he’ll get more support than Tim Raines has been getting recently, though I don’t think that’s necessarily logical.  I’ll leave that for later though.

1. jaybracken - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I’m a Cubs fan. I probably watched Edmonds in a Cubs uniform 8 or 9 times live, and dozens of times on TV. And every time I see it, it looks wrong. FWIW, Edmonds is borderline to me, he and Kenny Lofton (for different reasons, obviously) are in if it’s Big Hall, out if it’s Little Hall.

• BC - Feb 1, 2011 at 8:55 AM

That’s a fair assessment, both were great fielders (I think Edmonds won 7 or 8 gold gloves and Lofton won 4). Edmonds hit for power, Lofton stole a bajillion bases. But borderline at best for both. I don’t think either gets in, but I wouldn’t go bananas if either did get in.

2. billtpa - Jan 31, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Edmonds is easily in the top 10 all-time among centerfielders, which, in my opinion, should make one a no-brainer almost without regard to how big your own conception of the Hall is. I think he’s got a long wait ahead of him, though.

3. Walk - Jan 31, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Jim was always a player i loved to watch. I was never lucky enough to see him play in person though. He always seemed to give that extra little bit and bounce of the ground or wall and attempt a catch. What really got my attention was a throw he made early in his career to home. He backed up a bit, ran in, then threw a strike to home, all the time using his momentum to put everything he had into the throw finishing the play with a faceplant as he left his feet. That play symbolized his whole career for me, everything he had every play.

4. crankyfrankie - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Edmonds is among the top ten all time center fielders? Seriously??? Mays, Snyder, Mantle, DiMaggio, Puckett, Speaker, Griffey Jr.,Ashburn, Lynn, Cobb, Cedeno, Willie Davis, Oliver. I think I’ve made my point.

• cintiphil - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Cranky, not so fast. I saw the guy play many times in Reds country. He was one of the best defensive C-F, I ever watched. He stole game after game with his play in the field. I would put him in the Mays and Curt Flood level on defense, REALLY!

• Bochy's Head/Timmy's Bong - Feb 1, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Edmonds is at least in the argument for top ten. From your list, he’s probably better than Lynn, Cedeno, and Oliver, and maybe also Puckett, Davis, even Ashburn.

• BC - Feb 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM

He’s not better than Puckett. But all the other guys, yeah, I think so.

• BC - Feb 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM

You left out Bernie Williams. I’d put him on a par with Edmonds.

• cintiphil - Feb 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I think Edmonds is better than Puckett, although I didn’t see him play very much. I don’t think Bernie can compete with Jim. Remember, Mays and Flood were absolutely the two best on D, and Edmonds was in that class.

5. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Feb 1, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I would rate Edmonds in the top 10 defensively in CF. Offensively, Jimmy probably cracks the top 25 – 30 in CF.

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka