Jan 31, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
This is a bit of a stretch. Neither he nor his agent used those words, and that’s normally what triggers this kind of post. But this is fun anyway: Marc Topkin, who covers the Rays for the St. Pete Times, waited for Manny Ramirez as he arrived at the Tampa airport last night:
He was pleasant enough as photographer Kathleen Flynn and I approached him as he stepped off the tram after flying in from Phoenix, and actually asked if I was there to pick him up. When I told him I’d seen a limo driver waiting for him downstairs, he laughed and said he didn’t need a limo, that was just a “humble” guy.
Ramirez was polite in a short chat as he rode the escalator, saying he “feels great” about playing for the Rays, talking about how he was in tremendous shape after extensive workouts at the Athletes Performance Institute in Arizona, and smiling when reminded of his exceptional numbers at Tropicana Field (48 extra base hits, 72 RBIs and 1.003 OPS in 77 games).
Ramirez played in the AL East for a long time. Topkin has covered the Rays forever, and is a very distinctive looking guy. Ramirez has likely been in Topkin’s presence scores of times, and has almost certainly been asked questions by the guy. In light of that, it cracks me up that Manny thought that Topkin was there to pick him up.
Someday I’d like to live in a world as magical as the one in which Manny Ramirez lives. I bet everything there is fresh and new and wonderful all the time.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 23
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 66
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)