Jan 31, 2011, 8:20 AM EDT
Jerry Crasnick reports that the Orioles have signed Justin Duchscherer. The Baltimore Sun says that the deal is for $700K guaranteed, a base salary of $1.1 million if he makes the roster and as much as $4.5 million if he makes 30 starts.
This sounds like a great deal for Baltimore. If Duchscherer can stay healthy, he stands a decent shot of anchoring the O’s rotation. If not? It’s not a ton of money and thus no tremendous loss.
A physical is still pending, and that’s no mere formality for Duchscherer. For his part, he told Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com last week that he is “pretty much 100 percent” heading into spring training this season.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (158)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)