Jan 31, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
Bob Pool of the Los Angeles Times has an interesting article about Ty Cobb’s great-grandson, a 19-year-old college freshman with the same name who’s on the basketball team at Occidental College and turned down the chance to be a two-sport athlete because he’s just not all that into baseball.
I’m not going to play baseball here. It’s just not my love. Basketball has always been my favorite sport. I get it all the time: “Why are you playing basketball?” I played baseball through high school. This will be the first year I’ve ever not played. I guess Occidental just caught me at the wrong time. I’ve played football, basketball, baseball, tennis, golf, run track. But basketball is the one I always come back to. There’s no doubt in my mind it’s what I love to do.
Occidental baseball coach Jason Hawkins still plans to see if he can talk Cobb into playing baseball too, but for now he’s a 6-foot-5 small forward only. As for what life is like as a teenager with a Hall of Famer’s name, particularly when that Hall of Fame had some not-so-wonderful moments chronicled in a movie?
People have given me a hard time about it because Ty Cobb had a tough reputation among a lot of people. They think he wasn’t a very good guy. Some people thought he was a jerk. I’ve had to defend him on more than one occasion. My dad knew him really well. My dad would tell fun stories about when he was young and interacting with Ty Cobb.
When my dad was about 12 my great-grandfather was in his late 60s or 70s. One day he had a fresh linen suit on and they were talking baseball and he decided to teach my dad how to hook-slide. So they go out in the backyard on the grass and Ty Cobb is in his fancy suit and he’s got the cuffs of his pants rolled up and one of his helper ladies came out and said, “Mr. Cobb, you can’t be doing that!” It kind of showed his competitiveness even into his twilight years.”
Maybe they can include that scene if Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Wuhl ever get together for a sequel.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 50
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 69
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)