Jan 31, 2011, 2:48 PM EST
Bob Pool of the Los Angeles Times has an interesting article about Ty Cobb’s great-grandson, a 19-year-old college freshman with the same name who’s on the basketball team at Occidental College and turned down the chance to be a two-sport athlete because he’s just not all that into baseball.
I’m not going to play baseball here. It’s just not my love. Basketball has always been my favorite sport. I get it all the time: “Why are you playing basketball?” I played baseball through high school. This will be the first year I’ve ever not played. I guess Occidental just caught me at the wrong time. I’ve played football, basketball, baseball, tennis, golf, run track. But basketball is the one I always come back to. There’s no doubt in my mind it’s what I love to do.
Occidental baseball coach Jason Hawkins still plans to see if he can talk Cobb into playing baseball too, but for now he’s a 6-foot-5 small forward only. As for what life is like as a teenager with a Hall of Famer’s name, particularly when that Hall of Fame had some not-so-wonderful moments chronicled in a movie?
People have given me a hard time about it because Ty Cobb had a tough reputation among a lot of people. They think he wasn’t a very good guy. Some people thought he was a jerk. I’ve had to defend him on more than one occasion. My dad knew him really well. My dad would tell fun stories about when he was young and interacting with Ty Cobb.
When my dad was about 12 my great-grandfather was in his late 60s or 70s. One day he had a fresh linen suit on and they were talking baseball and he decided to teach my dad how to hook-slide. So they go out in the backyard on the grass and Ty Cobb is in his fancy suit and he’s got the cuffs of his pants rolled up and one of his helper ladies came out and said, “Mr. Cobb, you can’t be doing that!” It kind of showed his competitiveness even into his twilight years.”
Maybe they can include that scene if Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Wuhl ever get together for a sequel.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 61
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)