Yankees sign Freddy Garcia to a minor league contract

Jan 31, 2011, 9:33 PM EDT

Freddy Garcia

Earlier today we learned of Freddy Garcia’s desire to play for the Yankees. Wish granted. Well, sort of.

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Yankees have signed Garcia to a minor league contract. He’ll compete with Ivan Nova, Sergio Mitre and Bartolo Colon for one of the two final spots in the starting rotation during spring training.

According to Crasnick, Garcia will earn a $1.5 million base salary if he makes the team and can make an additional $3.6 million based on games started, topping out at 30 starts.

Garcia, 34, went 12-6 with a 4.64 ERA over 28 starts with the White Sox last season. The veteran right-hander logged 157 innings, more than his previous three seasons combined.

He’ll likely be eaten alive in the American League East, but hey, it’s hard to quibble with a minor league deal. Worth a shot, right?

1. phukyouk - Jan 31, 2011 at 9:48 PM

MOTHERFUC*ER! same gddamn contract as durshererererer. what the hell is wrong with Cashman.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Think about it from the Duke’s perspective…the O’s can guarantee him a rotation spot, while the Yankees will let him duke it out (sorry) with the likes of Mitre and Rectum…I mean Colon.

2. uyf1950 - Jan 31, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Well I think Cashman has my computer bugged. I wanted them to sign Duchscherer and they don’t. I like Millwood more than Garcia and they sign Garcia to a minor league contract to compete for one of the final starting jobs. Well let’s hope Andy decides to come back so all of these Minor league contracts the Yankees are signing these guys to don’t matter.

• spudchukar - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM

UYF- Duchscherer and Millwood sure seem like more favorable options to me too. Here is a sentence I would have bet my bottom dollar I would never read, “Yanks have signed Garcia to a minor league deal…he will compete with Ivan Nova, Sergio Mitre, and Bartolo Colon for one of the two final spots in the starting rotation.”

• phukyouk - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:12 PM

yea that part threw me for a loop too. seriously why cant cashman just jump in front of a train. he passed on dusherererere and then gives the same contract to Garcia? i hope garcia “beats” mitre out of hte job and then just BOMBS.

• uyf1950 - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM

To phukyouk – I can’t agree with you. While I do not like the signing, I’m still a Yankee fan and hope that it all works out. Since so far nothing I’ve wanted to happen as far the signings for the Yankees to fill out the starting rotation. All I can do is hope that Pettitte comes back at this point and then at least the starting rotation will be: CC, Andy, Hughes, AJ (let’s hope and cross our fingers that he does a complete turn around from 2010) and lastly Nova. Otherwise I’m really hoping Brackman shows the Yankees a lot at spring training and can make the team as the #5. I’m NOT liking either Garcia or Colon to round out the rotation.

• phukyouk - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:38 PM

if garcia or Colon have to be used we are in a lot more trouble than i thought. this is not Aaron Small and Chacon this is Smoltz and Penny and its not good. i of course i don’t want the Yanks to lose but you would think after last seasons (Javy, Nick J, and Winn) Cashman would stop with the throw aways. i mean we had that fu*ker from Hawaii two times and it didnt work out either time. whats next? Eric Gange to close? he needs to stop it. just stick with Mitre and Nova. i mean you already picked up Prior. how many charity cases do we need before we start looking like a charity case ourselves. the Boss never would have allowed this. like i said a few weeks ago. His sons are going to undo all he did in a matter of a few short yrs if they dont stop it.

• uyf1950 - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:53 PM

My friend I get the feeling Cashman is signing all these guys to minor league contracts so that when Andy let’s them know he’s coming back the Yankees can cut them lose with just a minimal expense. And if Andy doesn’t come back (which I don’t don’t think is the case) may be just maybe regardless how remote it is one of these guys may just shock the sh*t out of Girardi/Cashman at spring training and pitch lights out. If that doesn’t happen I think you are looking at Nova and either Mitre or Brackman making the jump from the minors till the trade deadline. At least that’s what I’m hoping for as worst case.

3. Jeremiah Graves - Jan 31, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Wow.

With all due respect, it is a good day to NOT be a Yankees fan.

/suddenly remembers the Twins also did nothing this off-season
    /cries uncontrollably

• phukyouk - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM

twins dont need to do sh!t. they will win the divison. the Yanks are Killing themselves.

4. uyf1950 - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Let’s hope Brackman is ready to make the jump from the minors to the ML’s sooner rather then later.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Are the Yankees any worse for this signing? It is one extra guy in spring training, and if he sucks worse than Mitre, we’ll have Mitre. Let’s not lose all perspective here…the Yankees did not do as much as some other teams this winter, but they didn’t have to. They got the biggest thing they needed…a pitching coach who knows the value of a K. If CC, Burnett and Hughes can rack up a few more strikeouts than last year, would you really say anyone has a better team?

CC – Lester = Ace
    AJ – Lackey = seems like an ace sometimes, but isn’t
    Hughes – Bucholz = young ace in training
    Nova – Beckett = I’ll probably give it to them, but I want to see it first
    Mitre, Garcia, Colon – Dice K, Wakefield, etc = Meh

Maybe a slight edge to Boston, but if Andy comes back NY takes the lead.

• phukyouk - Jan 31, 2011 at 11:04 PM

my friend you are missing the point. i said it at the start of the off season that the Yanks should go out an pick up every piece of sh!t out there and see what they get and throw the rest back. the problem is that Cash is being picky with the sh!t and is letting the better ones get away. are we any worse with those crap bags? of course not. but Garcia/Colon over Dersherererere/Mosley does make us worse. i honestly see the start 5 being CC,Phil,AJ, Nova,Mitre with Garcia OR Colon being released start of season. if Andy comes back then out of Mitre, Garcia Colon 2 will be relased. all im saying is that his moves are not making sense.

and for the record i still dont think that we are worse than the Sox rotation no matter what we have opening day.

• uyf1950 - Jan 31, 2011 at 11:06 PM

If Andy comes back I agree with you. But that’s still up in the air. I think if by some odd chance Garcia makes the team (which I believe is zero if Andy comes back) I hope they keep him away from Boston and Toronto when they play them. I agree with you about the Yankees signing Rothschild as their new pitching coach.

6. sosascork - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Cash must think the signings of Colon and Colon will be Swisher-esque. Good luck!

7. sosascork - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Whoops Colon and Garcia. They are the same guy, right?

8. Jeremy T - Feb 1, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Didn’t they sign Mark Prior to a minor league deal, too? You don’t think he’s gonna compete for that 5th spot? ;)

• phukyouk - Feb 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Prior is going to be used in relief.

9. baseballstars - Feb 1, 2011 at 7:04 AM

I don’t quite understand the hate for this signing. Garcia showed some promise last year (in a hitter’s park, nonetheless), and is better than Mitre. I’m usually the first to point out Cashman’s failures, but I don’t think this is a bad signing (it’s better than Colon and Prior).

Only eight times last year did Garcia give up more than three runs in a game, and only had four devastating starts (out of 28 games started). He’s WAY better than Mitre.

10. yankeesfanlen - Feb 1, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Spring training will be interesting. Now that we’re throwing all this against the wall and seeing who sticks, kindly recall that last spring Hughes proved his mettle, and it held through the year. The debate here is who is better- we’ll see.

11. proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2011 at 8:59 AM

For some reason I am reminded of a very silly 1960’s hit record called “Do The Freddy” by Freddy and the Dreamers. As a Jays fan, I sure hope that Freddy joins A. J. in the Yankee rotation.

• uyf1950 - Feb 1, 2011 at 9:41 AM

My friend that’s not all you better hope for. You should cross your fingers and toes and hope that Bautista has something close to the year he had in 2010. Otherwise it may be a very long year for the Jays and for the most part their young and relatively inexperienced pitching staff. And while they did move Wells payroll and he had been erratic the past few years he did have a pretty good offensive season in 2010. Just my opinion.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM

The Toronto rotation will surprise you. They are all on the upswing in their careers, while the Yankee pitching staff have all (including Hughes) reached their ceiling and some of them are in decline..

• uyf1950 - Feb 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM

To proudlycanadian – You are right my friend the Jays staff may surprise me. Just as you may be surprised at the Yankee staff this coming season. I think you greatly underestimate the Yankee staff. As you well know a teams pitching staff consist of more then just it’s 5 starters. There is the bullpen which by all accounts the Yankees have one of the best if not the best. Then there is the closer, the final nail in the coffin and the Yankees have the very best. Period. Just my opinion.

12. uyf1950 - Feb 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Well not the signing I or most Yankee fans would have hoped for. It is what it is. A Minor League contract with an invite to spring training to compete for the 5th spot in the Yankee rotation, nothing more. Even if he makes the team (which I doubt) it’s no big deal one way or another. If Andy comes back he never makes the team. The rotation will be CC, Andy, Hughes, AJ and Nova. All these guys the Yankees signed like Garcia, Colon and Prior to minor league deals will be let go and looking for new teams. If Andy doesn’t come back and either Garcia or Colon beat out Mitre for the 5th spot so what. The 5th spot starter is only going to account for may be12 or so starts until the trade deadline and one of the other teams wants to unload payroll. And with the Yankees bullpen and their offense if that person can go 5 innings and keep the Yankees within 3 runs, well you never know what can happen.

13. Jonny 5 - Feb 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I almost totally forgot that Pat Gillick traded Gio Gonzalez and Gavin Floyd for this guy at one time. That goes into one of the worst trades ever column for Gillick.

Orioles turn AL East on its head