Feb 1, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT
As evidenced by this insane picture from space, there’s some pretty crazy winter weather going on around the country right now. Perhaps you’re right in the middle of it.
We currently have a massive blizzard wreaking havoc in the Chicago area. Mayor Richard M. Daley cautioned that it could be “a storm of historic magnitude” and “one of the largest storms we’ve seen in the last 30 to 40 years or more.” Well, historic Wrigley Field has already felt the brunt of the blizzard first hand.
According to the Chicago Tribune, a portion of a structural panel above the press box “broke away” during today’s snow storm and scattered debris outside the ballpark. The streets around the stadium have been closed off, but fortunately no injuries were reported.
If you want to get a feel for what Chicago is going through, check out this live feed directly across the street from Wrigley Field. You can even see the panel in the shot.
And to think, Opening Day against the Pirates is exactly two months away.
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 0
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 21
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 54
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 77
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 35
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (179)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)