Blizzard takes off part of Wrigley Field’s roof

Feb 1, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT

Wrigley Field

As evidenced by this insane picture from space, there’s some pretty crazy winter weather going on around the country right now. Perhaps you’re right in the middle of it.

We currently have a massive blizzard wreaking havoc in the Chicago area. Mayor Richard M. Daley cautioned that it could be “a storm of historic magnitude” and “one of the largest storms we’ve seen in the last 30 to 40 years or more.” Well, historic Wrigley Field has already felt the brunt of the blizzard first hand.

According to the Chicago Tribune, a portion of a structural panel above the press box “broke away” during today’s snow storm and scattered debris outside the ballpark. The streets around the stadium have been closed off, but fortunately no injuries were reported.

If you want to get a feel for what Chicago is going through, check out this live feed directly across the street from Wrigley Field. You can even see the panel in the shot.

And to think, Opening Day against the Pirates is exactly two months away.

1. Brian Murphy - Feb 2, 2011 at 3:48 AM

Damn, weather! You scary!

Great stuff, D.J.

During my early adolescent years, my career goal was to be a severe weather expert. Part of that desire still resides, so while half the country is buried right now, this is a very exciting time. Screw MTV, I want my Weather Channel!

• BC - Feb 2, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Totally agree! Nothing like Storm Stories or one of those storm-chaser things. Seeing things get mowed by an F4 is so cool. I’d quit my job and go do that if I could.
      However, power-sleet sucks. Northern Connecticut now being inundated by it. Luckily I have stocked up on Ketel One. ;-)

• Brian Murphy - Feb 2, 2011 at 6:44 PM

One of these days, I will chase tornadoes. Back in 2004, three hurricanes plowed right through Orlando in a six-week span. I spent most of the time outside, hanging onto a metal street sign, enjoying it all the way.

Because I’m stupid like that.

Have fun hunkering down!

2. BC - Feb 2, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Geez. They might have to play their first few home games at the Metrodome….
    Oh wait…..

• trevorb06 - Feb 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM

The Twin’s spent all that money on an open air stadium when mother nature delivered for free. Ain’t that some sh**?

• BC - Feb 2, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Mother Nature’s way of getting the Vikings to move to LA.

• trevorb06 - Feb 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Vikings move to LA and I’ll cry myself to sleep every night… for one night.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2903)