Feb 1, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT
I thought this was a joke when it popped up on Twitter earlier today, but Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said today that Chipper Jones literally knocked the cover off a baseball while taking BP today. He has a pic of said baseball up here. He insists in his tweet that it was legit.
I’m going to assume that the ball was in 100% perfect condition at the time Jones hit it and that is a harbinger of the greatest late-career season for a player since Ted Williams in 1958. It seems like the most logical thing.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 17
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 19
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 30
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)