Feb 1, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT
I thought this was a joke when it popped up on Twitter earlier today, but Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said today that Chipper Jones literally knocked the cover off a baseball while taking BP today. He has a pic of said baseball up here. He insists in his tweet that it was legit.
I’m going to assume that the ball was in 100% perfect condition at the time Jones hit it and that is a harbinger of the greatest late-career season for a player since Ted Williams in 1958. It seems like the most logical thing.
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 9
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 34
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)