Feb 1, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT
I thought this was a joke when it popped up on Twitter earlier today, but Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said today that Chipper Jones literally knocked the cover off a baseball while taking BP today. He has a pic of said baseball up here. He insists in his tweet that it was legit.
I’m going to assume that the ball was in 100% perfect condition at the time Jones hit it and that is a harbinger of the greatest late-career season for a player since Ted Williams in 1958. It seems like the most logical thing.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 12
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 8
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)