Chipper Jones knocked the cover off a baseball today

Feb 1, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT

Washington Nationals v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

I thought this was a joke when it popped up on Twitter earlier today, but Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said today that Chipper Jones literally knocked the cover off a baseball while taking BP today.  He has a pic of said baseball up here. He insists in his tweet that it was legit.

I’m going to assume that the ball was in 100% perfect condition at the time Jones hit it and that is a harbinger of the greatest late-career season for a player since Ted Williams in 1958.  It seems like the most logical thing.

1. bloodysock - Feb 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM

He was probably pissed after serving as a Delta gate agent yesterday:

2. phukyouk - Feb 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM

the last player that i can recall doing that was Benny “the Jet” Rodriguez.

• Kevin S. - Feb 1, 2011 at 3:31 PM

This comment makes me wish HBT had a +/- counter.

• phukyouk - Feb 1, 2011 at 3:57 PM

so that we are clear. is this a plus or minus? and how does the system work anyway? also what i said is fact. google it.

• Kevin S. - Feb 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I apologize for the ambiguity. I figured that people could only support Sandlot references.

3. Jonny 5 - Feb 1, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Who else has done this besides the much despised Jimmy Blake, who everyone knew as a cake.

4. marshmallowsnake - Feb 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM

He will still only hit .260 this year…and will not hit any light towers.

5. woodenulykteneau - Feb 1, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Aren’t today’s cellphones amazing? You can hardly tell when they’re being used with one hand…

• Jonny 5 - Feb 1, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I like the Photo myself…. I mean it has the perfect back drop to one busted a$$ ball doesn’t it?
      ;P

• woodenulykteneau - Feb 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Let’s just say I’ve seen that method of distraction before.

6. Professor Longnose - Feb 1, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Hey, Craig, did you know that the Braves’ 55th win this season will be their 10,000th in franchise history? Also, if they reach 9 games above .500, they’ll hit .500 for the franchise since 1876. They’re currently 9,945-9,954. Given how bad the Boston Braves used to be, that’s an accomplishment. They’re turned things around in the last 60 years.

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 1, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I didn’t know either of those things. I would have guessed, based on how much losing went down in Atlanta in the 70s and 80s, that they’d be farther below .500.

Cool.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 1, 2011 at 4:13 PM

So what you’re saying is they will be the second team to hit 10,000 losses??? It’s lonely that 10,000 loss club….

• Professor Longnose - Feb 1, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Yup, but the Pirates, Cubs, and Reds all have a good chance to be there in 4-6 years.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet