More stuff about that new baseball series on TBS

Feb 1, 2011, 9:28 AM EDT

Darrell Hammond

Last October we learned that TBS is going to produce a a weekly series about a baseball team with Ron Shelton — of “Bull Durham” fame — as the creative force.  It’s called “Hound Dogs,” and last fall it was described as being about “a minor league team and its general manager as they try to handle life’s ups and downs, both in and out of the locker room.”

Based on that description I figured there might be some comedy-drama elements. Maybe some serial storylines that get us all invested.  Today I read this:

Darrell Hammond is reportedly in talks for a role in TBS’s pilot Hound Dogs. The project, which has been written by White Men Can’t Jump scribe Ron Shelton, focuses on a struggling baseball team. According to Deadline, Hammond is in negotiations for the role of the team’s mascot. The character, who is described as a big flirt, is forced to wear a dog costume.

I can’t tell if that makes it better or worse than I thought it would be, but I’m starting to think that it won’t be the most complex thing going.

1. davidw7 - Feb 1, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I’ll pass on this

2. sdelmonte - Feb 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I wonder if Jim Bouton is available.

3. baseballstars - Feb 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Sounds boring. Hope I’m wrong, but I’ve already seen this plot before (Major League).

4. BC - Feb 1, 2011 at 9:40 AM

This stands to be as successful as the Geico Cavemen show….

5. thelucasjj - Feb 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Before you rush to Judgement, Hammond was in the movie Celtic Pride, so you know he has a strong pedigree for capturing the essence of sports in acting.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 1, 2011 at 10:45 AM

You just killed part of my soul.

6. jh0088 - Feb 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Your first clue that this wasn’t going to be the baseball version of ESPN’s “Playmakers” was that this show is on TBS, not TNT. TBS’s corporate motto: “very funny”.

They’re the home of all things Tyler Perry.

7. Jeremiah Graves - Feb 1, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Why would they quote Shelton’s White Men Can’t Jump rather than Bull Durham when pimping his new baseball-related show?!

8. Brian Murphy - Feb 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Darrell Hammond is completely forgettable outside the world of celebrity impressions.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3086)