Feb 1, 2011, 12:34 AM EDT
Today we find out some bad news for Marlins fans: The Philadelphia Phillies are also very hungry, maybe even hungrier than Hanley Ramirez. That’s what happens when you reach the NLCS and then sign Cliff Lee in the offseason.
“The longer you play the more hungry you get,” Halladay said. “All of us are to the point where we’ve had success and established ourselves. Once you do that, the most important thing becomes winning. I know Oswalt and Cliff feel the same way. We’re at that point in our careers where you really have to start chasing it. To be able to be on this team, right now, I think we all have to like our chances and hope we can do what we need to do to get it done.”
Shane Victorino went even further:
“There’s some hunger in our mouths,” centerfielder Shane Victorino said. “I don’t think we can be any hungrier than we are right now.”
Since this is two hungry guys vs. Florida’s one hungry guy, I’m going to have to tab the Phillies as the early favorites to win the NL East. Of course we have yet to hear from the Mets, Nats and Braves, so things could change.
All this talk of appetites brings two questions to mind:
1) Could there possibly be a better way to explain the arbitration process than to give a fake Prince Fielder a bunch of cheeseburgers? (“Now, the arbitrator cheeseburger’s decision is binding and determines the number of cheeseburgers for compensation. He could determine that the player deserves six, eight, or 10 cheeseburgers, which I will now eat.”)
2) How will this phenomenon affect all these players who are in the best shape of their lives?
As complicated as these matters are, one thing is clear: I’m hungry for spring training to start.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)