Feb 1, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
It’s a big week for phony-baloney would-be-heads-of-ownership-groups.
We’ve had reports of a couple of billionaire businessmen with interest in buying the Dodgers. Because they’re billionaire businessmen, they’ll likely have people handling negotiations for them and will eschew media so as to keep their plans and intentions strategically oblique.
The 62-year old Garvey says he’s leading a West Coast-based investment group that’s interested in buying his old club. If the Dodgers don’t come up for sale as a result of the divorce between current owner Frank McCourtand wife Jamie McCourt, the group will seek to buy another pro sports franchise.
No matter what club the group does buy, the nattily dressed Garvey, sporting a silk scarf over an expensive suit and tie, said he’ll try to apply the “Dodger Way.”
Personally, I’m going to put my money on the billionaire businessmen rather than the motivational speaker/informercial king/VIP greeter/paternity suit magnet in the silk scarf and expensive suit and tie.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)