Feb 1, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
It’s a big week for phony-baloney would-be-heads-of-ownership-groups.
We’ve had reports of a couple of billionaire businessmen with interest in buying the Dodgers. Because they’re billionaire businessmen, they’ll likely have people handling negotiations for them and will eschew media so as to keep their plans and intentions strategically oblique.
The 62-year old Garvey says he’s leading a West Coast-based investment group that’s interested in buying his old club. If the Dodgers don’t come up for sale as a result of the divorce between current owner Frank McCourtand wife Jamie McCourt, the group will seek to buy another pro sports franchise.
No matter what club the group does buy, the nattily dressed Garvey, sporting a silk scarf over an expensive suit and tie, said he’ll try to apply the “Dodger Way.”
Personally, I’m going to put my money on the billionaire businessmen rather than the motivational speaker/informercial king/VIP greeter/paternity suit magnet in the silk scarf and expensive suit and tie.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)