Feb 1, 2011, 12:06 PM EST
It’s a big week for phony-baloney would-be-heads-of-ownership-groups.
We’ve had reports of a couple of billionaire businessmen with interest in buying the Dodgers. Because they’re billionaire businessmen, they’ll likely have people handling negotiations for them and will eschew media so as to keep their plans and intentions strategically oblique.
The 62-year old Garvey says he’s leading a West Coast-based investment group that’s interested in buying his old club. If the Dodgers don’t come up for sale as a result of the divorce between current owner Frank McCourtand wife Jamie McCourt, the group will seek to buy another pro sports franchise.
No matter what club the group does buy, the nattily dressed Garvey, sporting a silk scarf over an expensive suit and tie, said he’ll try to apply the “Dodger Way.”
Personally, I’m going to put my money on the billionaire businessmen rather than the motivational speaker/informercial king/VIP greeter/paternity suit magnet in the silk scarf and expensive suit and tie.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)