Steve Garvey wants to own the Dodgers

Feb 1, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT

Steve Garvey

It’s a big week for phony-baloney would-be-heads-of-ownership-groups.

We’ve had reports of a couple of billionaire businessmen with interest in buying the Dodgers.  Because they’re billionaire businessmen, they’ll likely have people handling negotiations for them and will eschew media so as to keep their plans and intentions strategically oblique.

Then we got Steve Garvey:

The 62-year old Garvey says he’s leading a West Coast-based investment group that’s interested in buying his old club. If the Dodgers don’t come up for sale as a result of the divorce between current owner Frank McCourtand wife Jamie McCourt, the group will seek to buy another pro sports franchise.

No matter what club the group does buy, the nattily dressed Garvey, sporting a silk scarf over an expensive suit and tie, said he’ll try to apply the “Dodger Way.”

Personally, I’m going to put my money on the billionaire businessmen rather than the motivational speaker/informercial king/VIP greeter/paternity suit magnet in the silk scarf and expensive suit and tie.

1. bloodysock - Feb 1, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Garvey should partner with MLK III.

2. genericcommenter - Feb 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I think Garvey had his home utilities turned off for non-payment and has been sued for some of the smallest (stuff). I’m sure he can handle buying a team.

3. shawnuel - Feb 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Right….because, after the McCourts, you really want someone with Garvey’s history with women.

4. rollinghighwayblues - Feb 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I’ll never be able to take Garvey seriously after watching the Cheap Seats episode of Steve Garvey’s Celebrity Fishing Tournament.

5. billybeaneismyhero - Feb 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I’m throwing my hat in the ring. I’d also like to buy the Dodgers. While I have significantly less money than Garvey, I’m pretty sure my chances of actually purchasing the dodgers are equally as good.

6. spudchukar - Feb 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM

If there were a HOF for phonies, he would be first ballot material.

7. iamamadafaka - Feb 2, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Apparently he would be the managing partner with none of the his money which he doesn’t have anyway in the equation. Though I would like to know who these so-called billionaires are and where they were 7 yrs ago when Frankie Mac and the Ex snaked into our lives. All of a sudden we have a couple high rollers interested? doubt it. Unless it’s that cat who owns the Kings And Staples Center and wants to bring Football back to L.A. Hell I would even welcome Mark Cuban who’s a bit of a media whore but knows enough to let the basketball people run the Mavericks and stays out of the way unless of coarse there is a t.v. camera around. but shit anything would be better than those Boston carpet baggers fleecing the team to ruins

8. shawnuel - Feb 2, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Cheap Seats is what MST3K would have been if its creator/writers were not funny.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (4232)