Feb 1, 2011, 6:09 AM EDT
Last week Brian Cashman said that the Red Sox were probably the better team on paper. Yesterday, Red Sox President Larry Lucchino downplayed that. For those of you who don’t think the Yankees-Red Sox thing isn’t icky enough, I give you “hormonal satisfaction”:
Although Larry Lucchino admitted to taking “hormonal satisfaction” from the Red Sox outdueling the rival Yankees this winter, neither the team president nor chairman Tom Werner put much stock in New York GM Brian Cashman’s remarks last week that the Sox are the better team. Werner even labeled it “reverse psychology.”
Said Lucchino: “They’re always the favorites. C’mon, they’re the New York Yankees. They’re in the biggest market in the world. We’re happy to be the guys that they worry about looking over their shoulder.
The only thing less appetizing than thinking of a baseball rivalry in terms of “hormonal satisfaction” is listening to Yankees and Red sox brass argue over who the bigger underdog is.
Oh, and in case you’re interested, Lucchino’s comments come in the course of an article about Josh Beckett being in much better shape. It wasn’t quite strong enough for a BSOML headline, but if some of you guys get hormonal satisfaction over that meme I’ve tried to beat into the ground, it may scratch the itch anyway.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)