Feb 1, 2011, 11:35 AM EST
The “Player X has added Y pounds of muscle” construction is closely related to the BSOML phenomenon. Indeed, it is believed that that “muscle” and “shape” have similar roots in Indo-European etymology!*
Don’t let the overgrown offseason beard fool you. Braves pitcher Tommy Hanson has been working hard this offseason, taking advantage of some new resources available to him.
Hanson spent the winter in Southern California working out at the Boras Sports Training Institute with a team of trainers … Hanson said Monday morning on the first day of the Braves’ pre-spring pitching camp that he’s gained 10 pounds of muscle.
On a less cliche note, everyone talks about Boras being the big willy agent because the money he gets his players. And that’s clearly the best reason to hire him. But the fact that he has the money and scale to operate a training center and have a staff whose sole purpose is to cater to baseball players — and the fact that it’s located in beautiful Southern California — has to be a pretty big differentiator.
*May not be true.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)