Feb 2, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
This will be funny for anyone who collected baseball cards in the 1980s but sort of perplexing for anyone who didn’t. Short version: Cal Ripken’s daughter called him a Billy Ripken’s bat handle.
Those of you needing more explanation are probably best served by reading the story over at the Baltimore Sun as its too rambling to effectively and fairly blockquote.
And yes, I have that card. About a dozen of them.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)