Feb 2, 2011, 2:58 PM EST
Bruce Newman of the San Jose Mercury News has a column today about the Giants bringing their World Series trophy for display in San Jose. According to Newman This Means Something. This is Important:
On Tuesday, the Giants brought their precious metal mantelpiece to San Jose to mark their territorial rights in the most public way possible. Standing 24 inches high and 11 inches in diameter, the trophy looked like what you might get if you asked Tiffany to design a gaudy fire hydrant … If there was any doubt that the Giants will dig in their heels to protect their territory, managing partner Bill Neukom made the trip down to the South Bay to put it to rest. “This county is the heart of our marketplace,” Neukom said. Then he got on the public address system and told the fans the trophy was really theirs.
I guess that means the Giants taking the trophy to Sacramento, Modesto, New York, Monterey and the couple dozen other places they’re going with it means that the Giants are the most expansionist, territory-claiming group of people since Napoleon.
Look, I’m totally sympathetic to the whole A’s-to-San Jose movement, and I know the Mercury-News has been strongly advocating for it for a long time. But really: sometimes a goodwill tour is just a goodwill tour. It’s not a shot across anyone’s bow.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 0
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 22
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 85
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (86)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)