Feb 2, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
Remember last week when Chuck Greeneberg said that his visits to Cliff Lee knocked the Yankees out of the running, and how Yankees President Randy Levine called Greenberg delusional for making such a suggestion? Seems Levine was right. Here’s Heyman:
A series of interviews with several people either involved in the talks or with knowledge of them revealed the following picture:
“Delusional” may be a tad colorful, but Greenberg is likely wrong that his frequent trips moved the Rangers ahead of the Yankees, if indeed they were ever ahead. If the Rangers had a slight advantage over the Yankees, it was very likely because Lee enjoyed his time in Texas, not his visits with Greenberg. According to people in the know, the frequency of trips very likely had nothing to do with Lee’s decision at one point to counter Texas’ $120 million, six-year proposal with a request to approximate the Yankees’ $148 million, seven-year offer.
I chuckled at the “not his visits with Greenberg” line. Putting it that way makes old Chuck’s claim in the starkest relief. Lee’s a hunter and a family man. On what planet is sipping team with Greenberg in the parlor and talking business going to make him more likely to consider the Rangers?
All of that said, Levine was still being a jerk in his response to Greenberg because that whole revenue sharing = welfare business was totally beside the point and rather obnoxious.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)