Jermaine Dye drawing only minor interest, likely to retire

Feb 2, 2011, 11:28 PM EDT

dye swinging

Jermaine Dye, ladies and gentlemen, is about to say goodbye to professional baseball.

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the free agent outfielder, now 37 years old, has only drawn minor league contract offers from interested big league clubs this offseason and only wants to continue his playing career if guaranteed a roster spot.  Fair enough.

Dye wore the jersey of four different teams during his playing career — the Braves, Royals, A’s and White Sox — and will leave behind 325 career home runs and a .274/.338/.488 career batting line.

“I would still like to play, but I think my choices have passed and teams have gone with other people,” Dye said Wednesday.  “I will continue to stay in shape and hopefully someone will call. If nothing gets done by the end of the spring, I may call it a career.”

The native of northern California probably could have made some noise as a part-time designated hitter in the American League this season, but his bad range defensively made him unattractive to teams who prefer flexibility.  He posted a respectable .250/.340/.453 batting line and 27 home runs in 2009, his last year as a big leaguer.  So, hey, the guy can tell the world that he went out on top.

1. stankfinger - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:41 AM

He’s handling it in a classy way.

2. sknut - Feb 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I think he hurt himself with his contract demands last year, but at least he is comfortable with where he is at that must be the hardest piece coming to terms that you aren’t the same player you once were and thus not garnering the same interest.

3. Jeremiah Graves - Feb 3, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Dear Minnesota Twins,

You lack right-handed power. Your current backup first baseman is another outfielder with sketchy range. Why not go ahead and get a better version of Cuddyer (offensively at least) and use him somewhere in our DH/OF/1B/Bench rotation.

Your Friend,
    Jeremiah

• trevorb06 - Feb 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Because right now the Twin’s already have 4 guys to split 3 positions (RF, LF and DH) between Young, Thome, Kubel and Cruddyer. I’d more than love to see Cruddy go but Kubel regularly taking the field is a slightly scary option. I mean I love Kubel but he is a bigger dude on a surgically repaired knee.

4. larryhockett - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I never understood how Dye could go unsigned for the whole year in 2010. I suppose the answer is contract demands but even that’s mysterious. Why would lots of teams that could use some right-handed power and a guy who really wants to play not be able to reach an agreement at any point in the season? Makes me wonder if there isn’t more going on here than we’re privy to.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2531)