Feb 2, 2011, 4:13 PM EST
As we mentioned this morning, Roger Clemens was in court today to deal with is attorney’s conflict-of-interest. It’s all resolved now. Conflicts have been waived and another attorney is going to cross-examine Andy Pettitte. Tough break for the prosecution. Oh well.
This part was fun, though:
[Judge] Walton ended the 10-minute hearing by raising another point he said he felt he should put on the record: a brief discussion about Clemens that the judge had with former all-star outfielder Ken Griffey Sr.
Walton said he and Griffey grew up playing ball together and ran into one another a couple months ago at a homecoming celebration in their hometown of Donora, Pa. Walton said Griffey mentioned that he saw Walton was handling the Clemens case and told the judge the defendant is a “good guy.” Walton said he quickly cut off the conversation by telling Griffey he couldn’t talk about the case.
Not sure why the judge would cut off conversation then. Based on Ken Griffey Sr.’s claim that Clemens was a “good guy,” he obviously hasn’t read anything about Clemens since the late 90s.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 18
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 59
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)