The Giants hire Lou Piniella

Feb 2, 2011, 9:16 AM EST

Piniella

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Giants have hired Lou Piniella.

Since it’s the Giants we’re talking about I had to double check to make sure it wasn’t as a backup left fielder — hey, 67 is the new 37, and 37 is young when you’re the Giants– but alas, it appears as though he’s going to be an all-purpose advisor, scout, consigliere and whatever.

Kind of glad that he landed with the Giants, who won’t be in need of a manager any time soon. ┬áIt seemed really clear to everyone that Lou lost his desire to continue managing last season. If he had snagged some advisor job with another team it’s not hard to imagine that people would be agitating for him to take over if things went sideways.

1. BC - Feb 2, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Piniella resigned because his mother was gravely ill. He’s got baseball in his blood. If he stays healthy, he’ll end up like Don Zimmer – a baseball lifer. It’s what he does.
    Wouldn’t put it past him to come back and manage again. Heck, Jim Leyland is like 87 years old. Piniella could put in a few more years somewhere. And I miss the volcanic outbursts and base-throwing.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM

So he walks out on his team before the season is over. Because his mother was gravely ill. Is she all better now? At her age I don’t see how she could not still be ailing. I actually saw that move by him as weak. He walked out on an entire team, and used his mother as an excuse, a cop out. Lou fell a few notches imo. If his team was doing well I would bet he’d have lasted the entire season, but since they were a losing team he turned away. Maybe I’m wrong, and I hope I am. This is how I see it. You don’t back out of commitments such as Lou had because your mom is sick. Now, she’s skipping rope in the yard I presume, because now he’s working for another club now??

• hackerjay - Feb 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Leyland is actually a year younger then Piniella.

I agree 100% that Lou just didn’t give a damn last year, but I’m not completely sure he walked out on the team, and it wasn’t that the team asked him to leave.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Why would they even ask him to leave though??? I don’t see the point myself.

2. xpensivewinos - Feb 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Leyland only looks like he’s 87 years old because he smokes 100 packs of cigarettes a day. I think he’s only like 24.

• hnirobert3 - Feb 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM

His birthday must fall on February 29 if he’s only 24.

3. hermitfool - Feb 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Give ‘em credit, the Jints recognize and pay up for senility when they find it standing at the door wanting a job.

• ceadderman - Feb 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM

So I take it you’re looking for a job? Only reason I can think of as to why you’re buttering them up like this mornings hot cakes.

The Jints. Dang dude you ARE old.

4. mossholder - Feb 2, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Jonny 5- Pinella didn’t back out of his team last year, he left to tend to his sick mother. Managing a baseball team requires a lot of travel with limited family time so he did what any good family person would do and take care of personal issues rather than a job that really had no meaning at that point. Lou is a class act and a hard worker and he turned the cubs around in 3 years. I’m sure stress and age weighed down on last season because they struggled from the start. He did what any classy person would do any he stepped down early so management could try out Quade to see if he was a fit. They went on to be one of the winningest teams since he became manager so they stayed with him. This is all because Lou made a good move for personal reasons to tend to his mother. I agree that he has baseball in his blood so he probably took a job similar to what Parcells does/did with the Dolphins or Holmgren does/did with the Browns.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM

You are clearly a very optimistic person who is infatuated with “sweet lou”. The guy has made it clear throughout his career, that he is not a class act, yet this is how you see him.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester