Feb 2, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Giants have hired Lou Piniella.
Since it’s the Giants we’re talking about I had to double check to make sure it wasn’t as a backup left fielder — hey, 67 is the new 37, and 37 is young when you’re the Giants– but alas, it appears as though he’s going to be an all-purpose advisor, scout, consigliere and whatever.
Kind of glad that he landed with the Giants, who won’t be in need of a manager any time soon. It seemed really clear to everyone that Lou lost his desire to continue managing last season. If he had snagged some advisor job with another team it’s not hard to imagine that people would be agitating for him to take over if things went sideways.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 31
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 48
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)