Feb 2, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Giants have hired Lou Piniella.
Since it’s the Giants we’re talking about I had to double check to make sure it wasn’t as a backup left fielder — hey, 67 is the new 37, and 37 is young when you’re the Giants– but alas, it appears as though he’s going to be an all-purpose advisor, scout, consigliere and whatever.
Kind of glad that he landed with the Giants, who won’t be in need of a manager any time soon. It seemed really clear to everyone that Lou lost his desire to continue managing last season. If he had snagged some advisor job with another team it’s not hard to imagine that people would be agitating for him to take over if things went sideways.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)