Feb 2, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Giants have hired Lou Piniella.
Since it’s the Giants we’re talking about I had to double check to make sure it wasn’t as a backup left fielder — hey, 67 is the new 37, and 37 is young when you’re the Giants– but alas, it appears as though he’s going to be an all-purpose advisor, scout, consigliere and whatever.
Kind of glad that he landed with the Giants, who won’t be in need of a manager any time soon. It seemed really clear to everyone that Lou lost his desire to continue managing last season. If he had snagged some advisor job with another team it’s not hard to imagine that people would be agitating for him to take over if things went sideways.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)