Feb 2, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Giants have hired Lou Piniella.
Since it’s the Giants we’re talking about I had to double check to make sure it wasn’t as a backup left fielder — hey, 67 is the new 37, and 37 is young when you’re the Giants– but alas, it appears as though he’s going to be an all-purpose advisor, scout, consigliere and whatever.
Kind of glad that he landed with the Giants, who won’t be in need of a manager any time soon. It seemed really clear to everyone that Lou lost his desire to continue managing last season. If he had snagged some advisor job with another team it’s not hard to imagine that people would be agitating for him to take over if things went sideways.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 43
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)