Austin Jackson wants to steal 40 bases in 2011

Feb 3, 2011, 11:17 AM EDT

austin-jackson-tigers

Austin Jackson stole 27 bases while finishing runner-up in the Rookie of the Year balloting last season and the 24-year-old center field said recently that his goal for 2011 is to swipe 40 bags.

I think it’s just setting a goal to try to reach it, because I think I’m capable of stealing more bags. I think I need to try harder at it. I have speed and that’s a part of my game, and I definitely think that I could use it more on the base paths. It’s really just stealing a bag, maybe getting in scoring position a little more, try to score some more runs. I think it’s a thing you just have to kind of learn. I think it’s a thing I need.

Jason Beck of MLB.com notes that no Tigers player has stolen 30 bases in a season since Jim Leyland took over as manager in 2006, so getting to 40 on a team that generally doesn’t run a ton could be tough. In fact, in 19 seasons as manager Leyland’s teams have had a 40-steal player just three times: Edgar Renteria in 1998 and Barry Bonds in 1990 and 1991.

Looking beyond the Tigers and Leyland’s teams, a total of six players have swiped 40 or more bases in their age-24 season during the past decade: B.J. Upton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jose Reyes, Carl Crawford, Juan Pierre, Luis Castillo. And prior to going 27-for-33 on the bases as a rookie, Jackson averaged 33 steals per 150 games in the minors.

1. BC - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I want to steal 40 bases in 2011 as well.
    But then again, I’m not in the best shape of my life.

2. trevorb06 - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I heard Sandoval made a similar goal. He’s going to try to steal 40 cases. Cases of Twinkies. :-)

3. yankeesfanlen - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:51 AM

This is a trade I don’t think the Yankees should have made. I am satisfied with Granderson, however sometimes we get too experience-happy. Hope we keep Montero.
    I know who we can trade!……3 guesses, the first 2 don’t count.It rhymes with Bat Load.

• uyf1950 - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Let me guess it’s the first word in “____ the Hut”. BTW Granderson really came on the last 6 weeks of the season. Hopefully that continues in 2011.

4. uyf1950 - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM

My friends there is no “I” in team. What ever happened to “let’s make the team a winner”.

5. Ari Collins - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:58 AM

His goal should be to walk 60 times and hit 60 XBHs. Otherwise all the steals in the world aren’t going to make up for his BABIP falling from .396.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS