Feb 3, 2011, 11:17 AM EST
I think it’s just setting a goal to try to reach it, because I think I’m capable of stealing more bags. I think I need to try harder at it. I have speed and that’s a part of my game, and I definitely think that I could use it more on the base paths. It’s really just stealing a bag, maybe getting in scoring position a little more, try to score some more runs. I think it’s a thing you just have to kind of learn. I think it’s a thing I need.
Jason Beck of MLB.com notes that no Tigers player has stolen 30 bases in a season since Jim Leyland took over as manager in 2006, so getting to 40 on a team that generally doesn’t run a ton could be tough. In fact, in 19 seasons as manager Leyland’s teams have had a 40-steal player just three times: Edgar Renteria in 1998 and Barry Bonds in 1990 and 1991.
Looking beyond the Tigers and Leyland’s teams, a total of six players have swiped 40 or more bases in their age-24 season during the past decade: B.J. Upton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jose Reyes, Carl Crawford, Juan Pierre, Luis Castillo. And prior to going 27-for-33 on the bases as a rookie, Jackson averaged 33 steals per 150 games in the minors.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 10
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)