Bryce Harper swings a big stick. Literally.

Feb 3, 2011, 10:58 AM EDT

Bryce Harper

Quite literally. Courtesy of Nationals Enquirer, here’s Bryce Harper swinging a bat that measures 36 inches and weighs 47 ounces.  Most ballplayers use a bat that’s between 30 and 34 ounces, so this bad boy is as much as a pound heavier than what’s typical.  Doesn’t look like he’s laboring too much either.

Dudes: if this kid can figure out how to lay off major league-level junk, he’s going to be a beast.

1. BC - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM

47 ounces? That’s like swinging a shovel.

2. Jonny 5 - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Howard uses a 35 inch, 34½ ounce bat. My guess, Harper will switch up bats to be able to hit off the big boys. Unless he’s an immigrant from Krypton or something…

3. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:10 AM

He has an odd hitch in his swing, you can see it more pronounced using the second bat when he destinctly has a toe-tap. Wonder if quality offspeed stuff will be his downfall.

Also, Luke 1:34? How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?” (or know not of a man?). Odd thing to put on your bat don’t you think.

• BC - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I just wonder if he’ll be able to catch up to 99 mph heat with that thing. He’ll have to drop down in bat weight. Either that or hit a lot of stuff to the opposite field.

• donniebb23 - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM

It was actually Luke 1:37 that was on his bat… “For nothing is impossible with God.” I had to look it up out of curiosity myself.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Damn it would help if I could read :(

• cur68 - Feb 3, 2011 at 2:56 PM

awww…this quote makes more sense but the other quote had better ‘legs’. Bit of a disappointment since the implication was (to me that is) he’s got a virgin bat that’s visited with immaculate miracles. Frankly, the way some guys hit (like me for instances) a godly intervention would be welcome.

• mrfloydpink - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Regardless of whether or not one is Christian, isn’t it kind of a d-bag maneuver to put scripture on a bat? I mean, isn’t that kind of, I dunno, disrespectful or something?

• cur68 - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:13 PM

‘d-bag’? I don’t know. As an opinion, I’d save that one for if he runs over a cat or something. Scripture on your bat is well below the level of douchery, I think. I believe the nomenclature of d-baggery starts @ around being deliberately unkind to the helpless or jerky in a setting where you can’t possibly be harmed for being rude (like insulting someone over the phone; do it in person if you have any chones). It goes northward from there. I think a bat would have to be inherently a disrespectful object for this to be jerky in way, but that’s just my opinion. I think its ok, at any rate. Dude’s not clubbing seals with it is he?

4. Brian - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:22 AM

look at that swing. he’s going to get eaten alive by inside fastballs because he can’t get the bat head around quickly enough. It’s not a very smooth swing. I hope, for his sake, the hitting coaches can help make that a little more big-league friendly. and you’re right, he’s going to need a lighter bat.

5. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Folks: I seriously, seriously doubt that Harper is going to use this bat in real games. It’s clearly a training exercise or fun or whatever.

• Brian - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM

craig, regardless of the size and weight, from that angle his swing has a huge hole on the inside half of the plate. Will it be remedied with a more traditional bat? Maybe a little. But he’s still going to need to make some adjustments to hit major league pitching effectively. I know he’s a hot prospect, but I doubt his ability to be a pujols-like talent.

• Panda Claus - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I heard he was going to use a small oak tree once he arrives at the bigs–complete with branches and leaves. Hopefully he’ll remove the bird or squirrel nests first.

6. hasbeen5 - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Definitely not a game bat, it’s a bat speed training thing. It’s like being able to swing at a pitch with a donut on the bat.

7. scapistron - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM

A sport scientist actually did a study on bat speed and found that those that warmed up with a heavier bat actually wind up swinging more slowly than those that warm up with their standard or lighter bat.

Sure swinging a big stick might be good for building some strength, but if you want bat speed you should actually warm up with a lighter bat.

• pbannard - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:50 AM

There’s a difference, though, between between taking warmup swings with a heavier bat right before you go hit live pitching, and doing drills with a heavy bat. Harper is doing drills with a larger bat in order to build bat speed – it’s definitely an effective technique (and fairly common one at higher levels, I believe), as long as you can maintain your normal swing. And yes, I imagine that a lot of that increased bat speed has to do with increased strength in the quick twitch muscles involved in the swing.

• hasbeen5 - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM

This is what I was getting at, I just didn’t take enough time. I meant it’s better than swinging a donut right before your AB. You want muscle memory, not strength building, in the on-deck circle. But building strength against BP pitching is great because your working every musle that you need to quicken your swing.

• spudchukar - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Or you could just remind your quick twitch muscles to speed it up.

8. spudchukar - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Yeah, that hitch in his swing is very Aaronesque.

9. dickclydesdale - Feb 3, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Bryce Harper is the next Von Hayes..remember him?
    He was the Ted Williams that never was.
    Also youtube sensations always turn out to be complete frauds.

10. The Baseball Idiot - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:55 PM

He’s got a bat in waiting, made from the heart of an oak tree, split by lighning at midnight, during a full moon.

11. monsieurbear - Feb 4, 2011 at 3:18 AM

Joe Jackson’s game bat was 36″, 48 oz. (Black Betsy).

12. scornelius23 - Mar 1, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Wow! He better show up. You can tell in the video he’s getting tired, but still 36″ 47 oz. is HUGE! He better use that as his warm up bat if he ever wants to catch up to a 96 mph fastball with movement. Or even slow that behemeth of stick down on the sloppy stuff. I give him props though, I really do. Remember when you’re teaching your kid how to swing a bat, show them this video first. Get outside and enjoy the weather with family and friends. http://www.foreverpatiofurniture.com

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline