Feb 3, 2011, 6:49 PM EST
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of SI.com says the deal will be worth $900,000 if Mahay makes the big league roster and remains on it.
6:33 PM: The Dodgers have officially announced the minor league contract on their team Twitter feed.
6:14 PM: From ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark comes word that the Dodgers have nearly agreed to a contract with left-handed reliever Ron Mahay.
Mahay drew interest from the Red Sox and Mets earlier this offseason, but talks with those clubs never got far.
The 39-year-old is likely to serve in a lefty specialist role out in Los Angeles this season, as long as everything goes smoothly this spring.
He finished with a solid 3.44 ERA and 1.21 WHIP across 34 innings last year for the American League Central champion Twins, holding left-handed batters to a cool .219/.239/.281 batting line.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times says that the new contract is of the minor league variety and carries an invitation to spring training, where Mahay will have to prove his worth.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)