Feb 3, 2011, 6:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of SI.com says the deal will be worth $900,000 if Mahay makes the big league roster and remains on it.
6:33 PM: The Dodgers have officially announced the minor league contract on their team Twitter feed.
6:14 PM: From ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark comes word that the Dodgers have nearly agreed to a contract with left-handed reliever Ron Mahay.
Mahay drew interest from the Red Sox and Mets earlier this offseason, but talks with those clubs never got far.
The 39-year-old is likely to serve in a lefty specialist role out in Los Angeles this season, as long as everything goes smoothly this spring.
He finished with a solid 3.44 ERA and 1.21 WHIP across 34 innings last year for the American League Central champion Twins, holding left-handed batters to a cool .219/.239/.281 batting line.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times says that the new contract is of the minor league variety and carries an invitation to spring training, where Mahay will have to prove his worth.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 67
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)