Feb 3, 2011, 6:49 PM EST
UPDATE: Jon Heyman of SI.com says the deal will be worth $900,000 if Mahay makes the big league roster and remains on it.
6:33 PM: The Dodgers have officially announced the minor league contract on their team Twitter feed.
6:14 PM: From ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark comes word that the Dodgers have nearly agreed to a contract with left-handed reliever Ron Mahay.
Mahay drew interest from the Red Sox and Mets earlier this offseason, but talks with those clubs never got far.
The 39-year-old is likely to serve in a lefty specialist role out in Los Angeles this season, as long as everything goes smoothly this spring.
He finished with a solid 3.44 ERA and 1.21 WHIP across 34 innings last year for the American League Central champion Twins, holding left-handed batters to a cool .219/.239/.281 batting line.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times says that the new contract is of the minor league variety and carries an invitation to spring training, where Mahay will have to prove his worth.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)