Fred McGriff isn’t having the best couple of months

Feb 3, 2011, 9:55 PM EDT

mcgriff bigger

The Rays fired the Crime Dog!  Or, probably.

According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the Rays declined to rehire Fred McGriff after the 2010 season for reasons unknown.  He had been working as a special advisor in the community outreach department for a total of four years.

Those roles are usually more celebratory than anything, and his time probably just expired.

But, there’s more bad news on McGriff.

Alexandra Zayas, also of the Times, is reporting that McGriff’s wife Veronica filed for protection against the former ballplayer on January 14, just about three weeks ago.

Veronica McGriff wrote this in the police report:

“I am afraid and scared for my life and well-being.  During the past four months, my husband has been acting very strange. I learned that he secretly forged my signature to transfer our $1-million from a trust. He has stopped talking to me and the only communications he has had with me have been rude, aggressive and violent.”

“I don’t know who he is anymore. … I fear he is going to try to hurt me and I do not feel safe in my home.”

Scary stuff, but it sounds like things have been smoothed over now.  Veronica and Fred agreed to begin marriage counseling on January 31, dismissing the petition and dissolving any potential injunction.  It’s probably not fair to guess, but perhaps the strange behavior was a result of the Rays’ decision to cut McGriff loose.  Whatever the case, things seem to be back on track.

McGriff, now 47, retired after the 2004 season with 493 career home runs and a stellar .284/.377/.509 career batting line.  He was a five-time All-Star and drew MVP votes in eight different seasons.

1. marinermousse - Feb 4, 2011 at 2:26 AM

If Fred had played for the Yankees his entire career, he would most certainly have gotten a lot more than 20% for the HOF voting (see Mattingley comps). 6 Times in the top TEN for MVP voting, 8 times in the top 20. Career OPS of 886, with 493 HR, 1550 RBI, and great post-seasons with total of 218 plate appearances (so not a tiny sample) with OPS of .917 and 10 HR…and World Series 52 plate appearances with a .989 OPS. 7 totally dominant seasons with excellent range at 1B and finishing in the top FIVE in OPS each year, as well as in the top FOUR in HR for each of those 7 years. Career 50.5 WAR and 3rd most all-time games played at 1B. Nice peak WAR of those 7 years with 6.6, 6.1 and not one year below 3.7 and later several resurgent years.

Definitely not a slam dunk, but definitely more than 20%. I hope he finds peace.

2. frankvzappa - Feb 4, 2011 at 6:30 AM

cocaine is a helluva drug…

• The Baseball Idiot - Feb 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I missed something. Where did it mention cocaine, and when had McGriff ever been known to have used, or failed a drug test?

Do you have fact to back this up, or is it just guessing?

• bigdicktater - Feb 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM

frankv: This isn’t the Jerry Springer Show. We don’t care about your cocaine problem.
      This isn’t the first inappropriate comment you’ve made. Grow up.
      You do a disservice to the real Frank Zappa by using his name.

3. BC - Feb 4, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Guy was consistent for a long, long time. Eight 100-RBI seasons and another three over 90. Hopefully its not drug abuse and just some sort of manic or clinical depression that can be treated with therapy and medication.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS