Feb 3, 2011, 9:55 PM EDT
The Rays fired the Crime Dog! Or, probably.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the Rays declined to rehire Fred McGriff after the 2010 season for reasons unknown. He had been working as a special advisor in the community outreach department for a total of four years.
Those roles are usually more celebratory than anything, and his time probably just expired.
But, there’s more bad news on McGriff.
Alexandra Zayas, also of the Times, is reporting that McGriff’s wife Veronica filed for protection against the former ballplayer on January 14, just about three weeks ago.
Veronica McGriff wrote this in the police report:
“I am afraid and scared for my life and well-being. During the past four months, my husband has been acting very strange. I learned that he secretly forged my signature to transfer our $1-million from a trust. He has stopped talking to me and the only communications he has had with me have been rude, aggressive and violent.”
“I don’t know who he is anymore. … I fear he is going to try to hurt me and I do not feel safe in my home.”
Scary stuff, but it sounds like things have been smoothed over now. Veronica and Fred agreed to begin marriage counseling on January 31, dismissing the petition and dissolving any potential injunction. It’s probably not fair to guess, but perhaps the strange behavior was a result of the Rays’ decision to cut McGriff loose. Whatever the case, things seem to be back on track.
McGriff, now 47, retired after the 2004 season with 493 career home runs and a stellar .284/.377/.509 career batting line. He was a five-time All-Star and drew MVP votes in eight different seasons.
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 0
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 1
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 23
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)