Feb 3, 2011, 9:55 PM EDT
The Rays fired the Crime Dog! Or, probably.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the Rays declined to rehire Fred McGriff after the 2010 season for reasons unknown. He had been working as a special advisor in the community outreach department for a total of four years.
Those roles are usually more celebratory than anything, and his time probably just expired.
But, there’s more bad news on McGriff.
Alexandra Zayas, also of the Times, is reporting that McGriff’s wife Veronica filed for protection against the former ballplayer on January 14, just about three weeks ago.
Veronica McGriff wrote this in the police report:
“I am afraid and scared for my life and well-being. During the past four months, my husband has been acting very strange. I learned that he secretly forged my signature to transfer our $1-million from a trust. He has stopped talking to me and the only communications he has had with me have been rude, aggressive and violent.”
“I don’t know who he is anymore. … I fear he is going to try to hurt me and I do not feel safe in my home.”
Scary stuff, but it sounds like things have been smoothed over now. Veronica and Fred agreed to begin marriage counseling on January 31, dismissing the petition and dissolving any potential injunction. It’s probably not fair to guess, but perhaps the strange behavior was a result of the Rays’ decision to cut McGriff loose. Whatever the case, things seem to be back on track.
McGriff, now 47, retired after the 2004 season with 493 career home runs and a stellar .284/.377/.509 career batting line. He was a five-time All-Star and drew MVP votes in eight different seasons.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)