Feb 3, 2011, 9:55 PM EDT
The Rays fired the Crime Dog! Or, probably.
According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the Rays declined to rehire Fred McGriff after the 2010 season for reasons unknown. He had been working as a special advisor in the community outreach department for a total of four years.
Those roles are usually more celebratory than anything, and his time probably just expired.
But, there’s more bad news on McGriff.
Alexandra Zayas, also of the Times, is reporting that McGriff’s wife Veronica filed for protection against the former ballplayer on January 14, just about three weeks ago.
Veronica McGriff wrote this in the police report:
“I am afraid and scared for my life and well-being. During the past four months, my husband has been acting very strange. I learned that he secretly forged my signature to transfer our $1-million from a trust. He has stopped talking to me and the only communications he has had with me have been rude, aggressive and violent.”
“I don’t know who he is anymore. … I fear he is going to try to hurt me and I do not feel safe in my home.”
Scary stuff, but it sounds like things have been smoothed over now. Veronica and Fred agreed to begin marriage counseling on January 31, dismissing the petition and dissolving any potential injunction. It’s probably not fair to guess, but perhaps the strange behavior was a result of the Rays’ decision to cut McGriff loose. Whatever the case, things seem to be back on track.
McGriff, now 47, retired after the 2004 season with 493 career home runs and a stellar .284/.377/.509 career batting line. He was a five-time All-Star and drew MVP votes in eight different seasons.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)