Feb 3, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Shut down following his September 4 start because of shoulder and elbow injuries, Josh Johnson arrived at the Marlins’ spring training complex three weeks ahead of schedule to throw some early bullpen sessions and told Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post that he feels “great.”
Johnson, who won the ERA title with a 2.30 mark in 184 innings spread over 28 starts, spent the offseason seeing a chiropractor and working out with former “World’s Strongest Man” competitor Mark Philippi in Las Vegas.
“I went to this guy so I could stay healthy the whole year. That’s the goal,” Johnson told Capozzi.
Johnson’s excellent rookie season in 2006 was also cut short by arm problems and then he missed most of 2007 and 2008 following Tommy John elbow surgery, but the 27-year-old right-hander has remarkably gone 33-12 with a 2.94 ERA in 75 starts since returning in mid-2008. He’s somewhat quietly emerged as one of the elite pitchers in all of baseball, but has started more than 30 games or thrown more than 185 innings just once.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)