Kevin Millwood is asking for a lot of money

Feb 3, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT

Kevin Millwood

For those teams with a starting pitching opening [cough!] Yankees [cough!], know this: you’ll need a lot of money to get Kevin Millwood. Here’s Buster:

Heard this: Millwood is looking for $4-$5 millon for 2011, which is significantly more than some teams willing to consider.

Eh, no one seems that desperate. Especially for a guy who went 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA  last year.  I think if he were in a hitter-friendly park that the U.N. would send in peacekeepers to try to limit the carnage.

Put him in the National League, though, in a more forgiving park than Camden Yards?  OK, I can maybe see it.

1. yankeesfanlen - Feb 3, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Note to Brian:
    HELL NO
    P.S. Refill mini-bar in George’s old office, slip in a Mickey.

2. BC - Feb 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM

The guy was something like 4-19 last year. If Manny Ramirez gets $2mil, how the heck can Millwood get more than that?

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Neither would make first round beer league anymore, one has a better agent? No, that can’t be it either.
      Why did we give up on the Duke of Hurl?

• scatterbrian - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Duchscherer set a career high with 22 starts back in 2008, then 0 in 2009, and 5 in 2010. And considering his insistence that he wanted to be a starter (he believes it will help him stay healthy) it’s hard to commit a rotation spot to a guy with that track record.

3. spudchukar - Feb 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Suppose there was a team notorious for having lots cash who was desperate for a starter. Then suppose there was an available starter who was asking for a whole lot of said cash. A match made in heaven.

4. uyf1950 - Feb 3, 2011 at 2:56 PM

If the piece is correct. Millwood must be afflicted with whatever Vlad has a lack of understanding of his value in the marketplace.

To my friend spudchukar – I’m assuming you are referring to the Yankees. Am I right? My guess is if he does sign with the Yankees at some point if will probably be for something in the same neighborhood as Garcia got. With an invite to spring training and an out clause by the end of March to allow him to sign with another team if he can. I don’t think Cashman or the Yankees are going to guarantte any of these guys a roster spot until they prove themselves at spring training. That’s just my opinion.

• spudchukar - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM

UYF, all kidding aside, I actually would support a Millwood signing. I agree with your assumptions, but something tells me Millwood wants a greater commitment. If I am not mistaken, Millwood actually got off to a rather brilliant start for the O’s last year, just didn’t get any run support, and then things deteriorated thereafter. But since the right field porch can be reached with a pitching wedge, shouldn’t the Yanks be scouring the ranks for a lefty?

• uyf1950 - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:28 PM

As for your comment about a lefty. You are absolutely correct. I just don’t there there is anyone out there that even meets the Garcia/Millwood criteria. I think that will come when the Yankees get into any sort of trade discussions with a team. I’m certain they will be looking for a lefty first. Especially since Pettitte was a lefty. Again as you say all kidding aside, the one thing Mitre has going in his favor is he tends to get more ground ball outs when healthy then any either Garcia, Colon or Millwood. But like a previous poster said. AJ is the big unknown and the key to how weel the Yankees are able to hold on until they can find a replacement for Pettitte either in early spring or by the trade deadline and the bullpen will play a big roll early on. We shall see.

• spudchukar - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Mitre’s drawback, if I remember correctly, mostly when he was a Feesh, was that he was a Nibbler, resulting in big innings, then the quick Hook. Strikes are his problem. Sorry, can’t help myself. Who knows maybe he will make a big Splash in the Bronx. Worked for A-Rod.

5. danwhitmer - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM

The Yanks are going to have a hard time getting far this year with the staff they have. I know the line up they will put out there is close to if not the best in baseball but pitching wins championships and that is certainly something they do not have right now!

6. scatterbrian - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Looking strictly at his 4-16 record and 5.10 ERA, $4-$5M may be a lot. Looking at what pitchers actually control, $4-$5M seems absolutely reasonable for Millwood. He’s pretty durable (no major injuries since 2001), and 190+ innings of league average pitching is worth $4-$5M. Anything more is gravy. And for the Yankees I really don’t see any downside in signing Millwood. He’s certainly a better option than Bartolo Colón…

But really, is $4-$5M really “a lot of money” in baseball? The average salary last year was roughly $3.3M.

7. uyf1950 - Feb 4, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I’ve read where the Indians are also interested in Millwood. Food for thought. The Yankees sign Millwood eat his salary and flip him to the Indians along with another player and or prospect for Carmona. The Indians get the player they were interested in at no cost and a player or 2 with cost certainty and the Yankees get the starter they need.
    Win, Win.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5561)