Feb 3, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
There aren’t many sure things in this world, but one sure thing is that whenever a baseball team’s ownership situation is in flux, people will start mentioning Mark Cuban’s name. This time Cuban is making a preemptive strike:
“I’m not chasing any more baseball teams … “I’ve just come to the conclusion, if I’m going to write a huge check, I’d rather be wooed than have to chase … whether it’s here or the Dodgers, for that matter, I’m not going to put myself in a bidding situation.”
The “here” referred to the Mets.
I get why people always think about Cuban in these situations. He owns a sports franchise already and has expressed interest in at least two baseball teams in the past. But if you believe Wikipedia, there are over 400 billionaires in the United States alone. Figure there are scores more Chuck Greenberg-types (i.e. mere millionaires who can wrangle together a number of rich investors). As such, it’s always a smarter bet to pick “the field” before focusing on Cuban. And that’s before you even figure in baseball’s alleged reluctance to allow Cuban into the ownership club.
No one ever mentions, I dunno, Jerry Yang or George Lucas or Michael Dell or any of the other people scads of money. Heck, maybe we should start a new category of billionaire rumor-mongering. That would keep us occupied until spring training starts.
Heard this: Gordon Getty was seen buying a Dodgers cap at an Inglewood gas station yesterday …
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)