Feb 3, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
There aren’t many sure things in this world, but one sure thing is that whenever a baseball team’s ownership situation is in flux, people will start mentioning Mark Cuban’s name. This time Cuban is making a preemptive strike:
“I’m not chasing any more baseball teams … “I’ve just come to the conclusion, if I’m going to write a huge check, I’d rather be wooed than have to chase … whether it’s here or the Dodgers, for that matter, I’m not going to put myself in a bidding situation.”
The “here” referred to the Mets.
I get why people always think about Cuban in these situations. He owns a sports franchise already and has expressed interest in at least two baseball teams in the past. But if you believe Wikipedia, there are over 400 billionaires in the United States alone. Figure there are scores more Chuck Greenberg-types (i.e. mere millionaires who can wrangle together a number of rich investors). As such, it’s always a smarter bet to pick “the field” before focusing on Cuban. And that’s before you even figure in baseball’s alleged reluctance to allow Cuban into the ownership club.
No one ever mentions, I dunno, Jerry Yang or George Lucas or Michael Dell or any of the other people scads of money. Heck, maybe we should start a new category of billionaire rumor-mongering. That would keep us occupied until spring training starts.
Heard this: Gordon Getty was seen buying a Dodgers cap at an Inglewood gas station yesterday …
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)