Feb 3, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
There aren’t many sure things in this world, but one sure thing is that whenever a baseball team’s ownership situation is in flux, people will start mentioning Mark Cuban’s name. This time Cuban is making a preemptive strike:
“I’m not chasing any more baseball teams … “I’ve just come to the conclusion, if I’m going to write a huge check, I’d rather be wooed than have to chase … whether it’s here or the Dodgers, for that matter, I’m not going to put myself in a bidding situation.”
The “here” referred to the Mets.
I get why people always think about Cuban in these situations. He owns a sports franchise already and has expressed interest in at least two baseball teams in the past. But if you believe Wikipedia, there are over 400 billionaires in the United States alone. Figure there are scores more Chuck Greenberg-types (i.e. mere millionaires who can wrangle together a number of rich investors). As such, it’s always a smarter bet to pick “the field” before focusing on Cuban. And that’s before you even figure in baseball’s alleged reluctance to allow Cuban into the ownership club.
No one ever mentions, I dunno, Jerry Yang or George Lucas or Michael Dell or any of the other people scads of money. Heck, maybe we should start a new category of billionaire rumor-mongering. That would keep us occupied until spring training starts.
Heard this: Gordon Getty was seen buying a Dodgers cap at an Inglewood gas station yesterday …
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)