Feb 3, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
There aren’t many sure things in this world, but one sure thing is that whenever a baseball team’s ownership situation is in flux, people will start mentioning Mark Cuban’s name. This time Cuban is making a preemptive strike:
“I’m not chasing any more baseball teams … “I’ve just come to the conclusion, if I’m going to write a huge check, I’d rather be wooed than have to chase … whether it’s here or the Dodgers, for that matter, I’m not going to put myself in a bidding situation.”
The “here” referred to the Mets.
I get why people always think about Cuban in these situations. He owns a sports franchise already and has expressed interest in at least two baseball teams in the past. But if you believe Wikipedia, there are over 400 billionaires in the United States alone. Figure there are scores more Chuck Greenberg-types (i.e. mere millionaires who can wrangle together a number of rich investors). As such, it’s always a smarter bet to pick “the field” before focusing on Cuban. And that’s before you even figure in baseball’s alleged reluctance to allow Cuban into the ownership club.
No one ever mentions, I dunno, Jerry Yang or George Lucas or Michael Dell or any of the other people scads of money. Heck, maybe we should start a new category of billionaire rumor-mongering. That would keep us occupied until spring training starts.
Heard this: Gordon Getty was seen buying a Dodgers cap at an Inglewood gas station yesterday …
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 6
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 11
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 254
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (254)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)