Feb 3, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
There aren’t many sure things in this world, but one sure thing is that whenever a baseball team’s ownership situation is in flux, people will start mentioning Mark Cuban’s name. This time Cuban is making a preemptive strike:
“I’m not chasing any more baseball teams … “I’ve just come to the conclusion, if I’m going to write a huge check, I’d rather be wooed than have to chase … whether it’s here or the Dodgers, for that matter, I’m not going to put myself in a bidding situation.”
The “here” referred to the Mets.
I get why people always think about Cuban in these situations. He owns a sports franchise already and has expressed interest in at least two baseball teams in the past. But if you believe Wikipedia, there are over 400 billionaires in the United States alone. Figure there are scores more Chuck Greenberg-types (i.e. mere millionaires who can wrangle together a number of rich investors). As such, it’s always a smarter bet to pick “the field” before focusing on Cuban. And that’s before you even figure in baseball’s alleged reluctance to allow Cuban into the ownership club.
No one ever mentions, I dunno, Jerry Yang or George Lucas or Michael Dell or any of the other people scads of money. Heck, maybe we should start a new category of billionaire rumor-mongering. That would keep us occupied until spring training starts.
Heard this: Gordon Getty was seen buying a Dodgers cap at an Inglewood gas station yesterday …
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 9
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)