Mark Cuban is not interested in the Mets or the Dodgers

Feb 3, 2011, 8:50 AM EST

Mark Cuban horizontal

There aren’t many sure things in this world, but one sure thing is that whenever a baseball team’s ownership situation is in flux, people will start mentioning Mark Cuban’s name.  This time Cuban is making a preemptive strike:

“I’m not chasing any more baseball teams … “I’ve just come to the conclusion, if I’m going to write a huge check, I’d rather be wooed than have to chase … whether it’s here or the Dodgers, for that matter, I’m not going to put myself in a bidding situation.”

The “here” referred to the Mets.

I get why people always think about Cuban in these situations. He owns a sports franchise already and has expressed interest in at least two baseball teams in the past. But if you believe Wikipedia, there are over 400 billionaires in the United States alone.  Figure there are scores more Chuck Greenberg-types (i.e. mere millionaires who can wrangle together a number of rich investors).  As such, it’s always a smarter bet to pick “the field” before focusing on Cuban.  And that’s before you even figure in baseball’s alleged reluctance to allow Cuban into the ownership club.

No one ever mentions, I dunno, Jerry Yang or George Lucas or Michael Dell or any of the other people scads of money.  Heck, maybe we should start a new category of billionaire rumor-mongering.  That would keep us occupied until spring training starts.

Heard this: Gordon Getty was seen buying a Dodgers cap at an Inglewood gas station yesterday …

1. BC - Feb 3, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Mr. Cuban, I live 120 miles from Shea Stadium, and I will buy season tickets if you buy the Mets. PLEASE RECONSIDER!!!

• Jeremiah Graves - Feb 3, 2011 at 9:44 AM

So for his multi-million dollar investment you’ll spend a couple grand a year?

Yeah…that should get it done.

• BC - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:15 AM

A couple grand? Try about 5 or 6 grand for decent season tickets.
        Cuban has like $200 trillion. He could buy Queens if he wanted to. Him buying the Mets would make less of a dent in his wallet than 5 or 6 grand would make in mine.

• Jeremiah Graves - Feb 3, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I like your logic.

Let’s go ahead and get him signed up.

(Note: as a Twins fan my ability to comprehend ticket prices is skewed)

2. Adam - Feb 3, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I would think that Cuban would be a lot less likely to buy a baseball team now that the Rangers are off the table. One of his big things was getting the regional network going or to drive up the cost of the next TV package, a great goal.

If he were to buy the Mets or any team other than, maybe, the Astros he couldn’t do that. He’d just be another owner.

3. dymerrell - Feb 3, 2011 at 9:46 AM

#mysterybillionaire ?

4. clydeserra - Feb 3, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Tahnk you Mark Cuban for being so blunt. Too bad it won’t work. People won’t stop begging you to buy their team.

5. rrussell1967 - Feb 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I will never understand why people get so excited about the possibility of Cuban buying “their” team… people in LA go crazy and want him to hurry up and buy the Dodgers. What have the Mavericks accomplished that the Dodgers haven’t? Nothing… so what makes people think that he will suddenly bring a title to their team?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester