Mystery Team alert! Vlad Guerrero edition

Feb 3, 2011, 9:11 AM EDT

Vladimir Guerrero AP

The latest from the Vlad Guerrero saga from Buster Olney:

The Vladimir Guerrero talks will gather some momentum in the next 48 hours, one way or another. The Orioles have an offer on the table; last week, Guerrero’s side informed them that they had an offer worth $8 million in play. It’s not clear what team would have made the $8 million offer.

That right there is what they call a “mystery team,” my friends.  Pity that Guerrero’s agent isn’t as good at playing that game as Scott Boras is. Because really, I don’t think anyone believes it. I love Olney’s “It’s not clear …” sentence. I think it’s fair to translate as “no one on their right mind would believe …”

If I’m the Orioles I very graciously invite Mr. Guerrero to accept his $8 million offer and wish him good luck in his future endeavors. Then I mention that, in the unlikely event that the most generous offer the other team has made somehow falls though, the Orioles will be waiting for him.  At approximately 75% of what the last offer was they had on the table.

1. Jonny 5 - Feb 3, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Who could use a .300 hitting right hander, hitting 20-30 bombs a season, that also doesn’t mind having a lumbering oaf out in LF for the better part of a game? Hmmm???
    I say that because besides the orioles who else needs a DH?

• Panda Claus - Feb 3, 2011 at 10:16 AM

“Lumbering oaf” is a bit harsh against Luke Scott isn’t it? While he’s no threat to impose on Derek Jeter’s quest to win Gold Gloves at all nine positions next year, or remind anyone of Carl Crawford for that matter, he’s [hopefully] not going to remind anyone of Jose Canseco either. Probably not great, but a little better than the lumbering oaf category.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:40 AM

LOL!! No, No. That wasn’t a bust on Luke Scott. I was reminiscing actually. Back to the days of Pat Burrell in Philly. Not only was he a lumbering oaf, but he was nowhere near the batter that Vlad is. I was just thinking of how I’d enjoy seeing Vlad in Philly actually. With the pitching staff they have, he’d be alright out there. I think.. How about you Panda Clause, you’re a smart guy?

2. Jeremiah Graves - Feb 3, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Vlady should see if he can conquer the finer points of first base, he’d probably have a lot better shot at his $8 million if he wasn’t a defensive non-entity at this point in the game. The going-rate for a one-year, hired gun type of DH nowadays if $5 million or less. The times have changed.

I think Big Papi’s expiring deal in Boston is the last of the insanely bloated DH contracts to come off the books, well, until A-Rod becomes a DH, that is…

Dunn is making decent money, but he’s also making up for YEARS of getting underpaid for his performance, so I’m going to let that one slide. Plus, he’s likely to launch 50 bombs playing in Chicago.

3. trevorb06 - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM

If Vlad truly had an $8 mill offer everybody knows he would jump on it like it was the last chopper out of ‘Nam. This is one of the wost mystery team spew I’ve seen in a while. I predict that Vlad either eventually signs with the O’s at $5 or les million or doesn’t sign anywhere and goes out much like Dye is going out. Which isn’t a bad way to go out, on top and in good health.

4. billybeaneismyhero - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:12 PM

The saddest part is that this is the second mention of Vlad’s “mystery team” by Olney. The first time he mentioned it was on 1/28. What amazes me is that Vlad is still shopping around despite having this amazing offer (which just happens to be his “ideal” contract at this point) in his back pocket. I can see shopping the offer around for a day or two, but it’s been a freaking week. Isn’t he afraid this mystery team might get sick of waiting and pull their offer? Of course not because the team is not only mysterious, but it’s also fake.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate