Feb 3, 2011, 9:11 AM EDT
The latest from the Vlad Guerrero saga from Buster Olney:
The Vladimir Guerrero talks will gather some momentum in the next 48 hours, one way or another. The Orioles have an offer on the table; last week, Guerrero’s side informed them that they had an offer worth $8 million in play. It’s not clear what team would have made the $8 million offer.
That right there is what they call a “mystery team,” my friends. Pity that Guerrero’s agent isn’t as good at playing that game as Scott Boras is. Because really, I don’t think anyone believes it. I love Olney’s “It’s not clear …” sentence. I think it’s fair to translate as “no one on their right mind would believe …”
If I’m the Orioles I very graciously invite Mr. Guerrero to accept his $8 million offer and wish him good luck in his future endeavors. Then I mention that, in the unlikely event that the most generous offer the other team has made somehow falls though, the Orioles will be waiting for him. At approximately 75% of what the last offer was they had on the table.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 1
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 38
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 40
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72