Feb 3, 2011, 9:11 AM EDT
The latest from the Vlad Guerrero saga from Buster Olney:
The Vladimir Guerrero talks will gather some momentum in the next 48 hours, one way or another. The Orioles have an offer on the table; last week, Guerrero’s side informed them that they had an offer worth $8 million in play. It’s not clear what team would have made the $8 million offer.
That right there is what they call a “mystery team,” my friends. Pity that Guerrero’s agent isn’t as good at playing that game as Scott Boras is. Because really, I don’t think anyone believes it. I love Olney’s “It’s not clear …” sentence. I think it’s fair to translate as “no one on their right mind would believe …”
If I’m the Orioles I very graciously invite Mr. Guerrero to accept his $8 million offer and wish him good luck in his future endeavors. Then I mention that, in the unlikely event that the most generous offer the other team has made somehow falls though, the Orioles will be waiting for him. At approximately 75% of what the last offer was they had on the table.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (160)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)