Feb 3, 2011, 9:35 AM EST
“The weight figures reported last week in piratesreport.com were not accurate. Having said that, we have continued to stress to Pedro the critical importance of his conditioning. Pedro has gotten stronger through an extensive offseason conditioning program, but there is still work to be done with respect to body weight and composition.”
If he’s quibbling over the actual number of pounds but not refuting concerns about Alvarez’s overall conditioning, it probably means that there was more than a little something to the initial report.
That said, Alvarez is a young guy. And young guys have this obnoxious habit of being able to shed pounds with very little effort if they put their mind to it. God I hate them for that.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 8
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 35
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 42
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)