Feb 3, 2011, 5:25 PM EST
Randy Winn will compete for a spot on the Orioles’ bench after agreeing to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Last offseason Winn signed with the Yankees for $1.1 million, only to be let go after hitting .213 with a .595 OPS in 23 games. He then latched on with the Cardinals and actually played quite a bit in St. Louis, but hit just .250 with a .693 OPS in 87 games.
He no longer has the range to be a capable center fielder defensively and batted just .227 against left-handed pitching during the past three seasons despite being a switch-hitter, so Winn’s potential for usefulness is pretty limited at age 38 and the Orioles actually have good outfield depth.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)