Feb 3, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
Randy Winn will compete for a spot on the Orioles’ bench after agreeing to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Last offseason Winn signed with the Yankees for $1.1 million, only to be let go after hitting .213 with a .595 OPS in 23 games. He then latched on with the Cardinals and actually played quite a bit in St. Louis, but hit just .250 with a .693 OPS in 87 games.
He no longer has the range to be a capable center fielder defensively and batted just .227 against left-handed pitching during the past three seasons despite being a switch-hitter, so Winn’s potential for usefulness is pretty limited at age 38 and the Orioles actually have good outfield depth.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)