Feb 3, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
Randy Winn will compete for a spot on the Orioles’ bench after agreeing to a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Last offseason Winn signed with the Yankees for $1.1 million, only to be let go after hitting .213 with a .595 OPS in 23 games. He then latched on with the Cardinals and actually played quite a bit in St. Louis, but hit just .250 with a .693 OPS in 87 games.
He no longer has the range to be a capable center fielder defensively and batted just .227 against left-handed pitching during the past three seasons despite being a switch-hitter, so Winn’s potential for usefulness is pretty limited at age 38 and the Orioles actually have good outfield depth.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)