Red Sox Nation is full of lunatics

Feb 3, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Red Sox fans

Hey, don’t yell at me. It’s your manager saying so at yesterday’s Red Sox Town Hall:

The topic often meandered back to the excitement level, and each panel member discussed what it was like to perform their duties in a baseball-mad town like Boston. Francona may have summed it up best when he talked about his early years and getting to know just how passionate the fans are: “I was a little naïve. … I had no idea. Now that I do live here, I understand how important it is to these lunatics. If you care about baseball, there’s no other place to be.”

As someone who often tut-tuts overzealous fandom, I should acknowledge that, if I had to choose, I’d much rather that my team was followed by lunatics who occasionally get a bit too crazy as opposed to people who are generally apathetic unless the team is actually in the damn World Series and have to be told specifically to cheer and get excited.  Which describes Braves fans for the most part, as well as the fan bases for a lot of teams.

1. spudchukar - Feb 3, 2011 at 10:39 AM

While I cannot deny the right to joyously dance in the end zone, I still prefer those who act like they have been their before.

• bobwsc - Feb 3, 2011 at 10:49 AM

but there aren’t many Jerry Rice / Barry Sanders types out there. even the best like to flaunt it (see Derek Jeter sliding into second, looking up or the camera with the red light on, and then giving the fist pump).

2. BC - Feb 3, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I’d be a Mets Lunatic if I knew they had a chance to win anything. Those consecutive choke jobs really did me in. Now it’ll be 5 years or more before they’re really contending again. Bleh.

3. thinman61 - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Craig has minions, and Tito has lunatics. Good deal.

4. browngoat25 - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I may be wrong on this, but other than the Braves, I cant think of another team that has such apathy towards a winning team. I get that fans of the Royals and Pirates may not fill the stadiums on a regular basis, but I am pretty sure that if either team made the playoffs, that first home game in the division series would be sold out and it would be awesome. I remember watching some of those late 1990s/early 2000s Braves playoff series and there would be a lot of empty seats in Atlanta. Can anyone think of any other team whose fans dont come out for a winner?

• thinman61 - Feb 3, 2011 at 2:39 PM

The Tampa Bay Rays say hello.

• indaburg - Feb 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM

The Rays sold out all of their playoff games, unlike the Braves.

• marshmallowsnake - Feb 3, 2011 at 5:42 PM

The Diamondbacks beg you to come to a game and witness the apathy here. Back in 2007, when they were in first place, the stadium was empty…much like Tampa. My guess…since no one is really from here…they all root for the home team of where they are from.

5. frankvzappa - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:53 PM

we are not fans…we are a Nation…Red Sox Nation, bitches

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5582)