Andy Pettitte to retire tomorrow

Feb 3, 2011, 12:27 PM EST

Boston Red Sox v New York Yankees Getty Images

Yankees announcer and ESPN Radio host Michael Kay just tweeted the following:

I have learned that Andy Pettitte will officially retire tomorrow. [More] details to come….Michael

Ken Rosenthal has a source that is confirming that Pettitte will retire tomorrow. Jack Curry of YES Network has a full story on it here. He’s heading to New York where there will be a press conference.

This has been the bad news Yankees fans have feared for some time.  They’ve prepared themselves for it, but they’ve all hoped that Pettitte was going to give it one last go-around.

What does this mean for the Yankees rotation and chances?  I take a first stab at it here.  Short version:  everything’s going to have to break right.

1. spudchukar - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Allright, the back end of the Yanks rotation will now read Colon, Garcia and Millwood.

• benyamen - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Sounds like a decent lineup for a 2004 roto baseball team. ;-) Not so much for a 2011 MLB rotation. (insert trumpet “Whaaa – Whaaa” here)

2. yankeesfanlen - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Michael Kay would not stick his neck out if this wasn’t true.
    Guess we work around things til the trade deadline.
    Thanks for your service, Andy. Guess the speed-up the game finally got to you.

• bigharold - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM

King Felix to New York anyone? I wonder if Montero will like Seattle?

Too bad Pettitte called it quits. Even at this stage he was a good pitcher and he was a great presence.

• Ari Collins - Feb 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Haha, there is simply no way the Mariners trade an ace they have locked up at reasonable rates.

• Reflex - Feb 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Keep dreaming. If Cliff Lee was worth Justin Smoak, and Smoak was more valuable to the M’s than Montero, why the heck would Montero net the Yanks Felix? Maybe Cano + Montero, but no way in hell Montero for Felix on his own.

3. donniebb23 - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:32 PM

well this is all sorts of bad

• bigharold - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Sure but it was also inevitable. And, like in nature, vacums are quickly filled. This will force the Yankees to be more creative when exploring trades. While that will certyainly drive up the price we are about to find out if Cashman is more than merely the director of finance.

• spudchukar - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM

If vacuums are quickly filled then how do you explain Burnett?

4. trevorb06 - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Yankees to sign Millwood over the weekend. Enter into negotiations with Pedro on Monday. John Maine will get a minor league contract with an invite to spring training.

• bigxrob - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM

jamie Moyer is a free agent, don’t leave him out in the cold….

• Jonny 5 - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:04 PM

He’s out for TJ until 2012, but he swears he’s coming back.

5. BC - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Quick! Cashman! Sign Cliff Lee! Oh wait…..

6. Jonny 5 - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Well now this seriously changes things doesn’t it?

First of all UYF1950 is going to have a coronary.

Lenny is going to punch his andy pettitte cardboard cutout until it looks more like danny devito

phukyouk will undoubtedly kill someone, cuss out the masses and maybe cause Andy to acquire a restraining order against him until he’s finally apprehended and removed from americas most wanted list.

Cashman will be thrown from whichever building Hank sees him in first, from the 10 th floor or greater of course.

Ummm I think I covered it all.

I’m thinking the Yanks know this already if it’s true, and we’ll hear of some crazy trade next. Exciting imo.

• bigharold - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Is it too soon to burn the Andy Fathead?

• Jonny 5 - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I’d say it’s a perfect time for that Harold. And even though I like Andy, he’s got it coming to him now. He must hate the Yankees. Or what they’ve become. Or something philosophical like that. He was good last season. I have a theory that he’s pissed he never got paid “yankee money” like everyone else has. More than likely it’s a crazy theory that isn’t true, but I do that from time to time.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Yeah, this is terrible you know, what with game days penciled in for 7-11:30. And the thought of having to retire “Mr. Fiddley-Fart” with a new nickname, hope I can make it before P&C report.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM

What’s Gardners nickname? it could become “tradebait” before long.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM

It better be Brett the Bat his year. Someone has to be in scoring position or Derek Sanderson Jeter will do his famous DP act.

• uyf1950 - Feb 3, 2011 at 7:15 PM

To Jonny5 – In all the posts you have read of mine do you really think this is going to drive me off the deep end. I like most Yankee fans would have loved to have Andy back, but it’s not to be. Life goes on. If you recall I’m the one that on more then one occasion have said don’t be surprised if Cashman is working behind the scenes on a trade and I still think and believe that. I’ve also been one those that has not been crying the “sky is falling”. Because it isn’t. The Yankees have more then enough pieces to win 90+ games with what they currently have (starting pitching, bullpen/closer, offense)… and don’t be surprised if the Yankees pick up a quality starter before to long (Carmona could be one that you might see in Yankee pinstripes before the trade deadline). Like I’ve said many times it’s a huge mistake for fans and other teams to underestimate the Yankees, as Jimmy Rollins found out during the 2009 World Series.

7. bigleagues - Feb 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

BigRob – Felix Hernandez is not coming to NY any time in the near future . . . if ever. Seattle hasn’t had a guy like that since Randy Johnson and they certainly aren’t about to deal Felix for a DH in waiting like Montero. Now if you want to include Phil Hughes and Joba as part of that deal . . . they might just listen. But we all know the Yankees aren’t doing that deal either.

• thinman61 - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Yeah, watching (some of) the Yankee fans delude themselves that the Mariners will happily trade King Felix for a bag of baseballs and the privilege of dealing with the almighty Yankees is kind of humorous.

8. uyf1950 - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Gentlemen, something tells me many of the non Yankee fans on this site were wishing for this news. I have only one thing to say to that “be careful what you wish for…”.

9. bigleagues - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM

As for Pettitte – mark my words . . . you heard it hear first!

He will be pitching in a Texas Rangers uniform before he turns 40. My guess would be it could come as soon as mid-season and no later than next season.

He doesn’t work out all Winter just to retire before Pitchers and Catchers. More like he is retiring from the Yankees. Perhaps get that Andy Pettitte Day out of the way early in the season and move on to a team where he can spend half his summer at home with the kids.

Also, and this could be a big factor . . . don’t forget he has that Clemens trial coming up, in which Andy will almost certainly have to testify. Who wants that spectacle hanging over their head and his team while getting ready to start the season. Certainly not the Yankees.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM

After a long absence, we finally have words to mark again.

10. spudchukar - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM

In other related news, Phil Hughes took a tumble off his mountain bike and suffered a career ending right shoulder injury, A.J. Burnett was admitted to Bellevue for a two-year schizophrenia program, and C.C. Sabathia was rushed to St. Lukes with reports of chest pain.

• bigharold - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM

One can only hope. The B on your hat is showing.

• spudchukar - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Large Harry, I despise the Boys from Beantown.

• bigharold - Feb 3, 2011 at 2:21 PM

That makes two of us. I was only kidding, .. sort of.

11. sdelmonte - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I was feeling, given how long it was taking to decide, that he would come back. Clearly, this was just not an easy decision for him (or his aging body).

Everything else aside, I liked Pettitte despite his playing for that other team in New York. He handled himself well over the years, and he was also a gamer. Not quite a Hall of Famer, but someone who gave it his all. Here’s wishing him a good retirement in whatever form that takes. (Pitching coach in the Bronx in five years?)

12. kinggeorge96 - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM

My wife read, either yesterday or the day before, a quote from Swish saying that he understands Andy’s decision to retire, and he respects it, blah, blah, blah…

I was saying to her that she must’ve read it wrong cause Andy hasn’t retired yet… he’s out there doing his drills, getting ready to pull a Clemens around the all-star break…

He must’ve been saying his goodbye’s then. Guess she read right… and I wonder where she read it.. and that no-one else picked up on it??? I’ll have to ask her if she remembers.

• yankeesfanlen - Feb 3, 2011 at 1:48 PM

The AP feed had an interview with Swish, but it was inconclusive.

13. Panda Claus - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Pettitte’s retiring tomorrow? Isn’t the saying “why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?”

14. uyf1950 - Feb 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Since the subject of King Felix has been brought up by a couple of other posters I think it’s time for me to jump back into the fray. On and off over the past couple of month Reflex has been good enough to enlighten all of us how Seattle is a team with money, etc… and they are going to build a team around King Felix. Well so far at least for the 2011 season we have not seen the Mariners start to put that plan into action. After 2011 King Felix’s contract runs for the next 3 years and jumps to approximately $20M per. Now I gladly admit Seattle has the resources to pay him without any problem. Will they is the question. My personal opinion is sometime within the next year or so they will move him. But that’s just my opinion the same as other posters have expressed their opinions that Seattle won’t trade him. The theory of Seattle building a team around him and making Seattle competitive doesn’t seem to hold water. This season coming is virtually shot for the Mariners, and they aren’t going to improve themselves. So that leaves them with really only 2 more years after this year to show King Felix they are serious about building a winner because 2014 is the final year of his contract. Does anyone really believe Seattle will be a serious contender by the end of 2013. Of course not. So then the question becomes why pay one player $20M for the next few season when you are only going to be mired in mediocrity. Plus King Felix may take the decision out of Seattle’s hands. No professional athlete wants to spend his entire career on a losing team, especially not an athlete of King Felix’s caliber. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if at some point in the next 12 to 18 months King Felix pulls a Greinke and forces a trade. At that point where he goes is anyone’s guess maybe NY maybe not. But if does become available I wouldn’t count the Yankees out. Keep in mind the Yankees have some very good pitching prospect(s) who packaged with other players could be appealing to Seattle. Of course that’s just my opinion. Let the replies begin.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5014)