Feb 3, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
Yankees announcer and ESPN Radio host Michael Kay just tweeted the following:
I have learned that Andy Pettitte will officially retire tomorrow. [More] details to come….Michael
Ken Rosenthal has a source that is confirming that Pettitte will retire tomorrow. Jack Curry of YES Network has a full story on it here. He’s heading to New York where there will be a press conference.
This has been the bad news Yankees fans have feared for some time. They’ve prepared themselves for it, but they’ve all hoped that Pettitte was going to give it one last go-around.
What does this mean for the Yankees rotation and chances? I take a first stab at it here. Short version: everything’s going to have to break right.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 9
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 87
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 63
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (97)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)