Feb 3, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
Yankees announcer and ESPN Radio host Michael Kay just tweeted the following:
I have learned that Andy Pettitte will officially retire tomorrow. [More] details to come….Michael
Ken Rosenthal has a source that is confirming that Pettitte will retire tomorrow. Jack Curry of YES Network has a full story on it here. He’s heading to New York where there will be a press conference.
This has been the bad news Yankees fans have feared for some time. They’ve prepared themselves for it, but they’ve all hoped that Pettitte was going to give it one last go-around.
What does this mean for the Yankees rotation and chances? I take a first stab at it here. Short version: everything’s going to have to break right.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)