Feb 3, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
Yankees announcer and ESPN Radio host Michael Kay just tweeted the following:
I have learned that Andy Pettitte will officially retire tomorrow. [More] details to come….Michael
Ken Rosenthal has a source that is confirming that Pettitte will retire tomorrow. Jack Curry of YES Network has a full story on it here. He’s heading to New York where there will be a press conference.
This has been the bad news Yankees fans have feared for some time. They’ve prepared themselves for it, but they’ve all hoped that Pettitte was going to give it one last go-around.
What does this mean for the Yankees rotation and chances? I take a first stab at it here. Short version: everything’s going to have to break right.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)