The Braves have trade partners for Kenshin Kawakami

Feb 3, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT

Kawakami  throwing

Ken Rosenthal reports that two Japanese clubs are willing to take Kenshin Kawakami off the Braves’ hands and pick up more than half of his remaining $6.67 million salary.

Kawakami is, at best, the Braves’ sixth starter right now. He has never lived up to his contract and no one in the organization appears to have any confidence in him.  As such, I’m assuming that he’s going to be in an NPB spring training camp ASAP.

1. Panda Claus - Feb 3, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Enter the Yankees….

2. spudchukar - Feb 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I am trying to recall other “trades” with the Japanese League. Can you just be shipped off to the Siberian Bears, Manchurian Muskrats or Tierra del Fuegan Tattoos?

• Kevin S. - Feb 3, 2011 at 4:18 PM

The Yankees sold the rights to Darrell Rasner’s contract to a Japanese team for like $1 million, but that was at his request. I’d imagine player consent would be required for something like that.

3. Chris Fiorentino's Rash - Feb 3, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I will post it here if I can find it, but I thought Kawakami’s contract gave him the ability to veto a trade out of MLB, or there is something else that is keeping it from happening.

They had suitors from Japan early winter, but this issue has kept it from happening.

4. bravesfaninbama - Feb 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM

The only reason he’s still with the Braves is because they need his permission to trade him to Japan. Otherwise, he’d be gone already.

• Chris Fiorentino's Rash - Feb 3, 2011 at 4:29 PM

I don’t see why he wouldn’t accept a trade/sale back to Japan. The Braves are gonna stick him in Pearl/Jackson, MS (AA) which for the most part is a sh!t hole.

The only thing I can think of is that he has too much pride to go back, and thinks a MLB team will pick him up.

• pacgnosis2 - Feb 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM

There’s approximately a 0% chance he actually ends up in Mississippi. KK’s basically calling the Braves’ bluff, since he knows they aren’t just going to eat his entire contract while he languishes at AA. He’s an MLB-quality pitcher, and everyone involved knows it. Just because the Braves have soured on him (and because they have 5 or 6 better starters) doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have a rotation spot somewhere. I can think of 10-12 teams that should be trying to acquire him, starting with the Yankees. Frank Wren is just going to wait it out to see who will pay the most of KK’s salary. Let the Yankees stew with their 3-man rotation and who knows what Hank will authorize?

5. Jonny 5 - Feb 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Whoa!! Wagner hasn’t turned in his retirement papers yet??? Hmmm? That’ curious isn’t it?

All the trade deadline news to know