The Phillies might sign Gary Matthews Jr.

Feb 3, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT

Washington Nationals v New York Mets Getty Images

Jayson Werth Schmason Schmerth:

The Phillies are considering signing outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. to a minor-league contract, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. If the two sides can work out a deal, Matthews Jr. would attend minor-league spring training camp.

Matthews Jr. can’t hit anymore. He can’t even play defense very well anymore. He adds basically nothing to a major league team at this point, let alone a contending one like Philly.  I can’t think of any good this would do other than make Big Sarge — who is a commentator for the Phillies — happy.

But hey, people like Sarge, right?  There are worse reasons to sign a guy than to make his old man happy.  At least as long as he doesn’t make the team anyway.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Feb 3, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Wow Craig, tell us how you really feel about Mr. Matthews Jr….

Now remember, he had that 360 catch in the outfield once, which was cool was it not?

2. scatterbrian - Feb 3, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Phillies fans have been a bit over the top praising their rotation. But now, I acknowledge the Phillies can start printing those playoff tickets.

3. schmedley69 - Feb 3, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I hope that Chris Wheeler doesn’t have a son too.

• xxakshunxx - Feb 3, 2011 at 9:47 PM

+ 1

4. snowbirdgothic - Feb 3, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I think this calls for a slow-motion “Noooooooo….”

• scatterbrian - Feb 3, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Darth Vader, end of Episode III

5. kiwicricket - Feb 3, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Imagine making 50million in your career, then need your dad to get you a job. Ohhhh professional sports. You boggle the mind sometimes.

6. macjacmccoy - Feb 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM

You make it sound like they promised him 1st dibs on right field. Bringing in a veteran to fill out the Spring Training roster and to add a little competition to the guys trying to make the team is a good thing. It can only help. Also theres a chance he could actually make and help the team even if its a very slight chance. Look at Jamie Moyer he wasnt suppose to be able to pitch anymore and he came back and had the best years of his career and without him the Phillies probably wouldnt have won the WS in 08. Or Josh Hamilton he was suppose to be a strung out junkie who didnt have the skills anymore and would never play in another major league game. He just won the MVP award and led his team to a Pennant.
    Now Im not saying Gary Matthews will end up like that or even play another major league game in his career. Im just saying you cant count out a guy who has played like him throughout his career. I mean look every year GMs from around the league give up contracts to guys you would call lost causes and Im pretty sure theres a reason why there doing that and your doing this.

7. crankyfrankie - Feb 3, 2011 at 9:28 PM

He and John Mayberry junior will sit in the Lehigh Valley with the eternal debate of whose Dad is better. One of Ruben Amaro Jr.’s goal this year is to collect sons of former major leaguers..

• Jonny 5 - Feb 3, 2011 at 11:55 PM

That was just mean Craig. You sounded all “closing argument” on that one. I laughed my a$$ off.

• uyf1950 - Feb 4, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Jonny5 – Does this mean the Phillies are concerned about their offense. Let’s see lose Jason Werth and try and sign Gary Mathews Jr. Sounds like a desperation move to me. Or are the Phillies just doing what every other ML team does this time of the year. Signing players to MINOR league contracts and maybe with a little bit of luck one might have something left in the tank to help the team. Sounds like that’s an argument I’ve heard before.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 4, 2011 at 8:25 AM

UYF, You’ll never hear me state that any signing of any minor league level guys are an act of desperation. Ever. I think when you hear that in regards to your Yanks, it’s more than likely people finding pleasure in getting under the skin of normally content Yankee fans. Rational ill content from Yankee fans is a rare occurance, you must admit. And any smart Yankee fans would be silly to pretend they’re pleased with the state of the team today. The highest payroll in all of baseball contains one Ace, One really good “kinda-rookie”, A guy who could be good or really bad, and 2 question marks, in the starting rotation. I’m sure some people who are used to hearing how many rings the Yanks have, and how they’ll mash up the competition once again, find great pleasure in all of this. I’m kind of where I don’t care much at this point, I just want the season to begin, like reaaallll bad. I think the Yankees are in trouble, but not to the extent many people are pushing your way. I think the WC spot is going to wide open this season honestly. I also think the Rays have a legitimate shot at it, as do a couple of other AL teams, if they have a good season.

• uyf1950 - Feb 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Jonny5 – understood, my friend. Do I wish the Yankees had a better starting rotation? Of course. But like I’ve said many times, you play the hand your dealt. I’ve also said in the past and even you have agreed with me fans both for and against the Yankees shouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees come up with a trade for a very nice pitcher either by spring training or some time during spring. I honestly think some Yankee fans are going to be pleasantly surprised at how well the Yankees do the early part of the season and how disappointed some of the non Yankee fans will be for that same reason. I can say that for a few reasons.
        First, I think the bullpen will be a saving grace and bail out whoever the #4 and #5 starters turn out to be once the game goes 5 innings or so.
        Second, people can say what they want about the Yankee offense getting old. But I will take them against any team including the Red Sox.
        Third, unlike some I expect Hughes to only show improvement after his 1st full year of starting and I do expect AJ to be modestly better in 2011 mainly because of work with the new pitching coach.
        Fourth and lastly and this may surprise you. I expect Girardi to manage the team better. He is still relatively young/inexperienced as a manager (46 years old and 4 years managing experience). If you look around the league most if not all the successful manager are much more experienced, experience gained over time. Girardi, is just now starting to get to that point in my opinion.
        As for the wild card slot. I don’t think anything is a given for any team. Not the division winner and not the wild card. But I certainly like the Yankees chances more then anyone else and yes I do think the wild card will come out of the AL East. All of this is just my opinion and speculation. Which is what we all do on this or any other board. I too also hope for a speedy start to the “real” season.

• Jonny 5 - Feb 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Yup, Agreed. I don’t think we live in a world yet where the Yankees sit back and take it on the chin without making some big trade for a pretty darned good pitcher. It just doesn’t compute in my mind. The fact that they’re loading up on lower level guys tells me that’s in the plan. If and when that happens, it’s going to change the Yankees chances for the better. My feeling that the WC could be anybody’s including non AL east teams, comes from my feeling that the Yankees will probably drop 6-10 games from last season’s record. The Rays have great pitching still. The BoSox have an awesome offense. Plus more AL and NL teams should squeak out a few more wins from them this season imo. Now add that to a tighter race in the central or western divisions and we could see the WC come from them. Not saying it will happen, just that the chances are better this season with the Rays and Yankees being considered less powerful than previous seasons.

• uyf1950 - Feb 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Jonny5 – He’s a thought about a Yankee option. I’ve read where the Indians and Yankees have both expressed an interest in Millwood. My suggestion si the Yankees sign Millwood eat his salary then flip him to the Indians along with a player and or prospect for Carmona. The Indians get Millwood for no cost and a player or 2 with cost certainty and the Yankees get the starter they need. It’s a win, win.

• macjacmccoy - Feb 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM

uyf exactly my point I dont see how signing someone to a minor league contract as being a desperation thing or a bad thing. If theres a slim chance he can help then why not bring him to spring training and give him a shot.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet