Feb 3, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
The Phillies are considering signing outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. to a minor-league contract, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. If the two sides can work out a deal, Matthews Jr. would attend minor-league spring training camp.
Matthews Jr. can’t hit anymore. He can’t even play defense very well anymore. He adds basically nothing to a major league team at this point, let alone a contending one like Philly. I can’t think of any good this would do other than make Big Sarge — who is a commentator for the Phillies — happy.
But hey, people like Sarge, right? There are worse reasons to sign a guy than to make his old man happy. At least as long as he doesn’t make the team anyway.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)