Feb 3, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
The Phillies are considering signing outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. to a minor-league contract, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. If the two sides can work out a deal, Matthews Jr. would attend minor-league spring training camp.
Matthews Jr. can’t hit anymore. He can’t even play defense very well anymore. He adds basically nothing to a major league team at this point, let alone a contending one like Philly. I can’t think of any good this would do other than make Big Sarge — who is a commentator for the Phillies — happy.
But hey, people like Sarge, right? There are worse reasons to sign a guy than to make his old man happy. At least as long as he doesn’t make the team anyway.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 34
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'