Feb 3, 2011, 5:20 PM EST
The Phillies are considering signing outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. to a minor-league contract, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. If the two sides can work out a deal, Matthews Jr. would attend minor-league spring training camp.
Matthews Jr. can’t hit anymore. He can’t even play defense very well anymore. He adds basically nothing to a major league team at this point, let alone a contending one like Philly. I can’t think of any good this would do other than make Big Sarge — who is a commentator for the Phillies — happy.
But hey, people like Sarge, right? There are worse reasons to sign a guy than to make his old man happy. At least as long as he doesn’t make the team anyway.
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 35
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)