Feb 3, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
The Phillies are considering signing outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. to a minor-league contract, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. If the two sides can work out a deal, Matthews Jr. would attend minor-league spring training camp.
Matthews Jr. can’t hit anymore. He can’t even play defense very well anymore. He adds basically nothing to a major league team at this point, let alone a contending one like Philly. I can’t think of any good this would do other than make Big Sarge — who is a commentator for the Phillies — happy.
But hey, people like Sarge, right? There are worse reasons to sign a guy than to make his old man happy. At least as long as he doesn’t make the team anyway.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)