Feb 3, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
The Phillies are considering signing outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. to a minor-league contract, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. If the two sides can work out a deal, Matthews Jr. would attend minor-league spring training camp.
Matthews Jr. can’t hit anymore. He can’t even play defense very well anymore. He adds basically nothing to a major league team at this point, let alone a contending one like Philly. I can’t think of any good this would do other than make Big Sarge — who is a commentator for the Phillies — happy.
But hey, people like Sarge, right? There are worse reasons to sign a guy than to make his old man happy. At least as long as he doesn’t make the team anyway.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)