Feb 3, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
Milledge has gone from one-time top prospect to being non-tendered by the Pirates and unable to land a big-league deal, but he’s not even 26 years old yet and hasn’t been a total bum with a .269 batting average and .723 OPS in 1,655 career plate appearances.
He won’t have an opportunity to claim an everyday job in Chicago with Alex Rios, Carlos Quentin, and Juan Pierre set as the outfield starters, but Milledge would be a solid fit as a fourth outfielder who can offer plus defense in a corner spot and an .800 OPS versus left-handed pitching during the past three seasons.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)