Diamondbacks decide against using a humidor at Chase Field

Feb 4, 2011, 10:20 AM EDT

coors field humidor

Last year the Diamondbacks considered following in the Rockies’ footsteps by adding a humidor for the baseballs being used to Chase Field to control the high level of offense, but Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that they’ve decided against it for this season.

Piecoro quotes a couple studies that suggest using a humidor could decrease home runs at Chase Field by as much as 38 percent, which would potentially turn it from one of the majors’ most hitter-friendly ballparks to a pitcher-friendly environment.

There’s been speculation that former interim general manager Jerry Dipoto–who was a reliever for the Rockies from 1997-2000–was in favor of adding the humidor, but new general manager Kevin Towers wasn’t as keen on the idea. Dipoto has remained with the Diamondbacks, but is now the vice president of scouting and player development.

1. BC - Feb 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM

No way! And kill Mark Reynolds’s roto value??? Don’t do it!

• bigxrob - Feb 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I don’t think he plays for them anymore.

• writtenbyross - Feb 4, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Is Baltimore visiting Arizona this year?

• BC - Feb 4, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I totally missed the memo on that!! When the heck was he traded?

• trevorb06 - Feb 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM

BC, you kiddin’? Craig had like 3 posts mentioning it. Reynolds is gonna be im Camden now.

• BC - Feb 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Maybe I was on vacation that week. Hmm. Oh well.
        This is kind of like a few years ago when Frank Perdue died and I thought he’d been dead for a decade. I just missed the memo.

• trevorb06 - Feb 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Regardless BC, I traded Reynolds last year in my keeper league. His strikeouts will be just as meaningful with the Os as with the D-Backs. ;-)

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto