Feb 4, 2011, 8:39 AM EST
This link has been making the rounds: T-shirts with stylized mustache dude caricatures from various major league teams.
I didn’t check the descriptions to see who each shirt was supposed to represent, but I was able to guess most of them. I think my favorite one is the Reggie Jackson.
Overall I can’t decide if these things are cool or lame. First, kneejerk impression: awesome. Later impression: still positive, but less awesome as I imagine a lot of them floating around a stadium. Some shirts just work better if only one dude has them and you have no idea where he got it. Of course then you’re walking a fine line between cool and hipster, and that has its own set of issues.
Really, t-shirt politics are tough.
UPDATE: A commenter notes that this may just be a Nike ripoff of this Pavano shirt that a Twins blogger began selling last year. Hurm. It’s too early for me to delve into the ethics of a company ripping off a product that is probably subject to an injunction for being unlicensed merchandise in the first place. Perhaps I’ll take a nap and think about it later.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 45
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)