Feb 4, 2011, 8:39 AM EDT
This link has been making the rounds: T-shirts with stylized mustache dude caricatures from various major league teams.
I didn’t check the descriptions to see who each shirt was supposed to represent, but I was able to guess most of them. I think my favorite one is the Reggie Jackson.
Overall I can’t decide if these things are cool or lame. First, kneejerk impression: awesome. Later impression: still positive, but less awesome as I imagine a lot of them floating around a stadium. Some shirts just work better if only one dude has them and you have no idea where he got it. Of course then you’re walking a fine line between cool and hipster, and that has its own set of issues.
Really, t-shirt politics are tough.
UPDATE: A commenter notes that this may just be a Nike ripoff of this Pavano shirt that a Twins blogger began selling last year. Hurm. It’s too early for me to delve into the ethics of a company ripping off a product that is probably subject to an injunction for being unlicensed merchandise in the first place. Perhaps I’ll take a nap and think about it later.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)