Feb 4, 2011, 8:39 AM EDT
This link has been making the rounds: T-shirts with stylized mustache dude caricatures from various major league teams.
I didn’t check the descriptions to see who each shirt was supposed to represent, but I was able to guess most of them. I think my favorite one is the Reggie Jackson.
Overall I can’t decide if these things are cool or lame. First, kneejerk impression: awesome. Later impression: still positive, but less awesome as I imagine a lot of them floating around a stadium. Some shirts just work better if only one dude has them and you have no idea where he got it. Of course then you’re walking a fine line between cool and hipster, and that has its own set of issues.
Really, t-shirt politics are tough.
UPDATE: A commenter notes that this may just be a Nike ripoff of this Pavano shirt that a Twins blogger began selling last year. Hurm. It’s too early for me to delve into the ethics of a company ripping off a product that is probably subject to an injunction for being unlicensed merchandise in the first place. Perhaps I’ll take a nap and think about it later.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)