Mustache shirts? Yes, mustache shirts

Feb 4, 2011, 8:39 AM EDT

mustache shirt.bmp

This link has been making the rounds:  T-shirts with stylized mustache dude caricatures from various major league teams.

I didn’t check the descriptions to see who each shirt was supposed to represent, but I was able to guess most of them.  I think my favorite one is the Reggie Jackson.

Overall I can’t decide if these things are cool or lame. First, kneejerk impression: awesome. Later impression: still positive, but less awesome as I imagine a lot of them floating around a stadium.  Some shirts just work better if only one dude has them and you have no idea where he got it.  Of course then you’re walking a fine line between cool and hipster, and that has its own set of issues.

Really, t-shirt politics are tough.

UPDATE:  A commenter notes that this may just be a Nike ripoff of this Pavano shirt that a Twins blogger began selling last year.  Hurm.  It’s too early for me to delve into the ethics of a company ripping off a product that is probably subject to an injunction for being unlicensed merchandise in the first place.  Perhaps I’ll take a nap and think about it later.

1. rmalmstrom - Feb 4, 2011 at 8:53 AM

What? No Al Hrabosky?!

2. Panda Claus - Feb 4, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I think they’re pretty cool, though as usual the merchandise is slanted towards Yankee fans (with 3 separate choices), while most teams have none. Nike doesn’t even tell us on their site who the guys are, probably to save some licensing dollars.

It gets tiring to see Nike (in this case) or other vendors that hawk MLB stuff continually leave off 60% of teams for niche items like this. Not that I wanted one, but specialty items like camouflage shirts or stars-and-stripes holiday hats weren’t even available to all teams until recently.

As an O’s fan, I wouldn’t mind seeing a sideburns choice added to this collection representing Eddie Murray.

And really, how can you come up with a marketing angle like this and not have a Giants Brian Wilson beard t-shirt?

Craig is correct about this would quickly become like the Pet Rock if you saw too many of these shirts in stadiums.

3. billybeaneismyhero - Feb 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Yeah, so I sent my brother this link, and he immediately bought three different mustache shirts.

4. fribnit - Feb 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Yeah, I am diggin the Reggie shirt! The Rollie shirt is making me wish I was a Brewers fan.

• brewcrewchamps - Feb 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Definitely very seriously considering getting it.

5. Ace - Feb 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Yeah, I’m afraid mustaches have already become the new trucker hats. Urban Outfitters, the ultimate purveyors of all things hipster, is currently offering no fewer than 13 distinct mustache-themed products: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/search/search.jsp?searchPhrase=moustache

6. ThatGuy - Feb 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Whats funny is Nike told ripped this idea off of a Twins blogger who has been selling a Pavano shirt like that since early last year. They are so similiar in idea its tough to believe that its a coincidence, the only difference really being that the Nike ones are officially licensed because they have the money to do that.

• xxakshunxx - Feb 4, 2011 at 8:09 PM

the ideas may be similiar but the designs look pretty much nothing alike.. the link you posted looks like something any body with 5 seconds of Photoshop skills could make on their own screen press at home, the nike one actually looks like a shirt people would pay more than $5 for

7. BC - Feb 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM

They should do a Ross Grimsley shirt, but only if they include the hair as well.

8. joshfrancis50 - Feb 4, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I’ll take an Oscar Gamble afro shirt over any of these.

• BC - Feb 4, 2011 at 10:37 AM

That would rule. Dude probably had to wear a size 15 hat to get it over that fro.

9. highpocketskelly - Feb 4, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Didn’t know about the Twins blogger making one, but a couple of Rangers fans made one of Ron Washington (http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/1151094666/WASH2.jpg) only to get cease and desist letters from MLB back in early November: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20101102-MLB-cracks-down-on-Ron-Washington-4028.ece

10. trevorb06 - Feb 4, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Is that Twins shirt with the goatea suppose to be Johan?! If so NOT COOL!

• nps6724 - Feb 4, 2011 at 1:53 PM

I think it’s Puckett. Was Johan’s goatee ever that thick?

• trevorb06 - Feb 4, 2011 at 5:23 PM

For a while it was in his younger days. Puck’s older days he didn’t really have it that thick, and wasn’t that thick from the beginning.

11. scatterbrian - Feb 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I don’t think that’s Reggie.

12. drunkenhooliganism - Feb 4, 2011 at 12:45 PM

When did Dr Zaius play for the Astros?

13. mgflolox - Feb 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I think the Yankees shirts are Goose & Thurm. The Rollie should be an A’s shirt.

14. jecaec - Feb 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I got Goose, Thurman and Rollie, but not the others. Reggie’s not there. Who are the others?

15. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 4, 2011 at 1:14 PM

As God is my witness there was a Reggie one there when I first linked it this morning. Had circa-1977 Reggie glasses and everything.

• scatterbrian - Feb 4, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Could this be a use of likeness violation?

• scatterbrian - Feb 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM

It’s possible they get taken down when they sell out.

16. jecaec - Feb 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM

My guesses are: Twins, Johan Santana, Astros, Jeff Bagwell, Detroit-Jack Morris, Cubs- Dave Kingman (Ha!). Yankees could also be Don Mattingly instead of Thurman Munson.

17. hiphopnerd - Feb 4, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Anybody on the White Sox one? Best (& somewhat logical) guess is Ozzie, but it just doesn’t seem quite right. Most of the other famous Sox from that (82-86) era were either clean shaven or had significantly different facial hair. I’m stumped.

18. Brian Murphy - Feb 4, 2011 at 4:02 PM

These things are selling like Malibu Stacy with a new hat.

Twins: The “Cooperstown” tag makes you think it must be Kirby, but his goatee was never that shapely, full or clean. That’s a dead-on Johan.
    Astros: Some say Bagwell, but that looks more like Ken Caminiti. He and Bags played with similar ‘staches and beards, but it looks like the face on that shirt is sporting reflector shades. That’s a Caminiti look. Now, why would he be on a shirt? I have no clue. I guess Nike should do a better job of distinguishing its silhouettes.
    White Sox: Harold Baines? Ozzie? Or Nike needed something to sell on the south side?

19. Brian Murphy - Feb 4, 2011 at 6:25 PM

In my continuing quest to solve this stupid mystery, here’s who are on the shirts, according to Nike.

Remember when Wade Boggs played on the North Side? Those were good times.
    Also, I don’t understand how Nike can state that no Munson shirt exists. Both the Mattingly and the Gossage can be confused for Munson.

20. mgflolox - Feb 4, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Looks like Reds fans are SOL on this one.

21. xxakshunxx - Feb 4, 2011 at 9:45 PM

$20 says MLB execs just seen what Phillies fans did with the whole twitter thing for Jayson Werths Beard and the San Frans “Fear The Beard” slogan and probably figured they could piggy back off those ideas and make some cash for themselves

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2549)