Feb 4, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
Nationals catching prospect Adrian Nieto, who was Washington’s fifth-round pick in 2008, has been suspended 50 games for two banned substances named Oxandrolone and Metabolite.
His suspension will kick in once the season starts and Nieto will likely serve it while at high Single-A.
Baseball America tabbed Nieto as “the best switch-hitting catching prospect in the country” coming out of high school and he got $376,000 to sign with the Nationals, but in two seasons as a pro he’s hit just .210 with two homers in 110 games.
He has a blog set up on MLB.com, but Nieto either never posted an entry or the archives have been scrubbed clean.
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 47
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 21
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)