Feb 4, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
Nationals catching prospect Adrian Nieto, who was Washington’s fifth-round pick in 2008, has been suspended 50 games for two banned substances named Oxandrolone and Metabolite.
His suspension will kick in once the season starts and Nieto will likely serve it while at high Single-A.
Baseball America tabbed Nieto as “the best switch-hitting catching prospect in the country” coming out of high school and he got $376,000 to sign with the Nationals, but in two seasons as a pro he’s hit just .210 with two homers in 110 games.
He has a blog set up on MLB.com, but Nieto either never posted an entry or the archives have been scrubbed clean.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 25
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)