Feb 4, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
Nationals catching prospect Adrian Nieto, who was Washington’s fifth-round pick in 2008, has been suspended 50 games for two banned substances named Oxandrolone and Metabolite.
His suspension will kick in once the season starts and Nieto will likely serve it while at high Single-A.
Baseball America tabbed Nieto as “the best switch-hitting catching prospect in the country” coming out of high school and he got $376,000 to sign with the Nationals, but in two seasons as a pro he’s hit just .210 with two homers in 110 games.
He has a blog set up on MLB.com, but Nieto either never posted an entry or the archives have been scrubbed clean.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)