Feb 4, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Buster Olney — who isn’t known to crack wise on Twitter very often — cracked wise on Twitter this afternoon in response to the Wilpon-Madoff mess:
The Mets’ best defense in Madoff suit: We signed Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo to $60m deals-and WE were supposed to sniff out Ponzi scheme?
See, that’s funny, but there is a core of horror there for all Mets fans.
As far as I can see, there really are really only two explanations for the Wilpons’ current mess: (1) they were, as the bankruptcy trustee alleges, willfully blind or even indifferent to the warning signs that surrounded the Bernie Madoff investments; or (2) they were simply ignorant of all of the risks and warning signs despite their vast investment experience and business sophistication.
Negligent or dumb? Take your pick. Neither one is very comforting.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59