Feb 4, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Buster Olney — who isn’t known to crack wise on Twitter very often — cracked wise on Twitter this afternoon in response to the Wilpon-Madoff mess:
The Mets’ best defense in Madoff suit: We signed Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo to $60m deals-and WE were supposed to sniff out Ponzi scheme?
See, that’s funny, but there is a core of horror there for all Mets fans.
As far as I can see, there really are really only two explanations for the Wilpons’ current mess: (1) they were, as the bankruptcy trustee alleges, willfully blind or even indifferent to the warning signs that surrounded the Bernie Madoff investments; or (2) they were simply ignorant of all of the risks and warning signs despite their vast investment experience and business sophistication.
Negligent or dumb? Take your pick. Neither one is very comforting.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 52
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (87)