Feb 4, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Buster Olney — who isn’t known to crack wise on Twitter very often — cracked wise on Twitter this afternoon in response to the Wilpon-Madoff mess:
The Mets’ best defense in Madoff suit: We signed Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo to $60m deals-and WE were supposed to sniff out Ponzi scheme?
See, that’s funny, but there is a core of horror there for all Mets fans.
As far as I can see, there really are really only two explanations for the Wilpons’ current mess: (1) they were, as the bankruptcy trustee alleges, willfully blind or even indifferent to the warning signs that surrounded the Bernie Madoff investments; or (2) they were simply ignorant of all of the risks and warning signs despite their vast investment experience and business sophistication.
Negligent or dumb? Take your pick. Neither one is very comforting.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)