Feb 4, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Buster Olney — who isn’t known to crack wise on Twitter very often — cracked wise on Twitter this afternoon in response to the Wilpon-Madoff mess:
The Mets’ best defense in Madoff suit: We signed Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo to $60m deals-and WE were supposed to sniff out Ponzi scheme?
See, that’s funny, but there is a core of horror there for all Mets fans.
As far as I can see, there really are really only two explanations for the Wilpons’ current mess: (1) they were, as the bankruptcy trustee alleges, willfully blind or even indifferent to the warning signs that surrounded the Bernie Madoff investments; or (2) they were simply ignorant of all of the risks and warning signs despite their vast investment experience and business sophistication.
Negligent or dumb? Take your pick. Neither one is very comforting.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)