Feb 4, 2011, 6:59 PM EST
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that a significant portion of Guerrero’s $8 million salary is deferred.
6:59 PM: Buster Olney of ESPN.com confirms his colleague’s initial report. It’s one-year, $8 million, pending a physical.
Interestingly, as Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun notes, the O’s payroll now sits at approximately $93 million, approximately $20 million more than last season.
You can’t say the Orioles aren’t trying to win, but unless their young pitchers take a huge leap forward this season, it’s hard to imagine them being a contender.
6:08 PM: Well, it looks like Vlad won this staring contest.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Orioles have signed Vladimir Guerrero to a one-year, $8 million contract.
I’m curious to find out whether this figure includes potential incentives, but if not, this would mean that the Orioles ultimately bought Guerrero’s pitch that he had another $8 million offer on the table.
Guerrero is projected to be the regular designated hitter for the Orioles, moving Luke Scott to left field and Nolan Reimold and Felix Pie to the bench. The team’s defense will likely take a hit because of it, but their lineup now stacks up pretty well with the rest of the American League East.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 118
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 30
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 35
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)