Feb 4, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that a significant portion of Guerrero’s $8 million salary is deferred.
6:59 PM: Buster Olney of ESPN.com confirms his colleague’s initial report. It’s one-year, $8 million, pending a physical.
Interestingly, as Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun notes, the O’s payroll now sits at approximately $93 million, approximately $20 million more than last season.
You can’t say the Orioles aren’t trying to win, but unless their young pitchers take a huge leap forward this season, it’s hard to imagine them being a contender.
6:08 PM: Well, it looks like Vlad won this staring contest.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Orioles have signed Vladimir Guerrero to a one-year, $8 million contract.
I’m curious to find out whether this figure includes potential incentives, but if not, this would mean that the Orioles ultimately bought Guerrero’s pitch that he had another $8 million offer on the table.
Guerrero is projected to be the regular designated hitter for the Orioles, moving Luke Scott to left field and Nolan Reimold and Felix Pie to the bench. The team’s defense will likely take a hit because of it, but their lineup now stacks up pretty well with the rest of the American League East.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 17
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)