Feb 4, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that a significant portion of Guerrero’s $8 million salary is deferred.
6:59 PM: Buster Olney of ESPN.com confirms his colleague’s initial report. It’s one-year, $8 million, pending a physical.
Interestingly, as Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun notes, the O’s payroll now sits at approximately $93 million, approximately $20 million more than last season.
You can’t say the Orioles aren’t trying to win, but unless their young pitchers take a huge leap forward this season, it’s hard to imagine them being a contender.
6:08 PM: Well, it looks like Vlad won this staring contest.
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Orioles have signed Vladimir Guerrero to a one-year, $8 million contract.
I’m curious to find out whether this figure includes potential incentives, but if not, this would mean that the Orioles ultimately bought Guerrero’s pitch that he had another $8 million offer on the table.
Guerrero is projected to be the regular designated hitter for the Orioles, moving Luke Scott to left field and Nolan Reimold and Felix Pie to the bench. The team’s defense will likely take a hit because of it, but their lineup now stacks up pretty well with the rest of the American League East.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 82
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)