Feb 4, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
Andy Pettitte is gone. And it’s always the same after a breakup. The spurned one goes cruising for randoms: Rosenthal reports that people in the Yankees front office are discussing Joe Saunders, Scott Kazmir, Wade LeBlanc, Clayton Richard and Gio Gonzalez.
It’s less a shopping list than a brainstorming session, it seems. But it certainly doesn’t seem like the case that the Yankees are content to simply stand pat on the rotation. As we discussed yesterday, depth is a concern. Any of those guys — to the extent they’re actually available anyway — are good depth options.
The real issue right now is timing. We’re at the point of the offseason where most teams have talked themselves into liking their roster. Or at least they’ve talked their season ticket holders into liking it. Thus there are few teams who are really going to want to give up a serviceable starting pitcher. Unless it’s an overpay or the assumption of a truly odious contract — which I don’t think the Yankees are willing to do just yet — teams will tend to wait for their seasons to go a little bit sideways before making trades. As such, this is all so much spitballin’ at the moment.
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 16
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 22
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (128)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (103)