Feb 4, 2011, 3:13 PM EST
When we heard that Jim Edmonds would soon be announcing his plans, we assumed that his plans included a retirement announcement. Nope: dude just signed a minor league deal with the Cardinals.
Edmonds can still hit. In 272 plate appearances last year he put up a nice little .276/.342/.504 line with 11 homers. The problem, of course, is health. He had all kinds of issues in that department, most notably with his Achilles tendon.
If he’s healthy, he’s one of the better backup outfielders in all of baseball and, heck, may be a better option in right than Lance Berkman (and may give Tony La Russa an excuse to bench Colby Rasmus some more!) If not, no big loss seeing as though it’s just a minor league deal.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)