Feb 4, 2011, 3:13 PM EDT
When we heard that Jim Edmonds would soon be announcing his plans, we assumed that his plans included a retirement announcement. Nope: dude just signed a minor league deal with the Cardinals.
Edmonds can still hit. In 272 plate appearances last year he put up a nice little .276/.342/.504 line with 11 homers. The problem, of course, is health. He had all kinds of issues in that department, most notably with his Achilles tendon.
If he’s healthy, he’s one of the better backup outfielders in all of baseball and, heck, may be a better option in right than Lance Berkman (and may give Tony La Russa an excuse to bench Colby Rasmus some more!) If not, no big loss seeing as though it’s just a minor league deal.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)