Feb 4, 2011, 3:13 PM EDT
When we heard that Jim Edmonds would soon be announcing his plans, we assumed that his plans included a retirement announcement. Nope: dude just signed a minor league deal with the Cardinals.
Edmonds can still hit. In 272 plate appearances last year he put up a nice little .276/.342/.504 line with 11 homers. The problem, of course, is health. He had all kinds of issues in that department, most notably with his Achilles tendon.
If he’s healthy, he’s one of the better backup outfielders in all of baseball and, heck, may be a better option in right than Lance Berkman (and may give Tony La Russa an excuse to bench Colby Rasmus some more!) If not, no big loss seeing as though it’s just a minor league deal.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)