Feb 4, 2011, 8:05 PM EST
According to Sweeney Murti of WFAN, the Yankees have signed Eric Chavez and Ronnie Belliard to minor league contracts. They’ll both get invites to spring training.
The oft-injured Chavez has played in a grand total of 154 games since the start of the 2007 season, but worked out for a number of teams this winter, including the Dodgers and the Blue Jays. The 33-year-old batted .234/.276/.333 with one home run and 10 RBI over 123 plate appearances with the A’s last season, but didn’t play another game in the big leagues after going on the disabled list with neck spasms in May. It’s hard to see a fit for the former Gold Glover, even if he’s healthy.
Belliard, who turns 36 in April, was released by the Dodgers last September after batting just .216/.295/.327 with two home runs and 19 RBI over 185 plate appearances. Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that Belliard would earn a base salary of $825,000 plus incentives if he makes the team, but he’ll have to beat out Eduardo Nunez and Ramiro Pena in order to win a roster spot.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)