Feb 4, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
According to Sweeney Murti of WFAN, the Yankees have signed Eric Chavez and Ronnie Belliard to minor league contracts. They’ll both get invites to spring training.
The oft-injured Chavez has played in a grand total of 154 games since the start of the 2007 season, but worked out for a number of teams this winter, including the Dodgers and the Blue Jays. The 33-year-old batted .234/.276/.333 with one home run and 10 RBI over 123 plate appearances with the A’s last season, but didn’t play another game in the big leagues after going on the disabled list with neck spasms in May. It’s hard to see a fit for the former Gold Glover, even if he’s healthy.
Belliard, who turns 36 in April, was released by the Dodgers last September after batting just .216/.295/.327 with two home runs and 19 RBI over 185 plate appearances. Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes reports that Belliard would earn a base salary of $825,000 plus incentives if he makes the team, but he’ll have to beat out Eduardo Nunez and Ramiro Pena in order to win a roster spot.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)