Dennys Reyes signs minor league deal with Red Sox

Feb 5, 2011, 8:54 AM EDT

dennys-reyes-cardinals Getty Images

After having a major league deal with the Phillies fall through earlier this winter, left-handed reliever Denny Reyes has signed a minor league contract with the Red Sox, according to FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.

Reyes, 33, posted a 3.35 ERA and 25/21 K/BB ratio over 38 innings with the Cardinals last season. Though lefties batted .307/409/.453 in 88 plate appearances against him in 2010, he has held them to a .238/.332/.337 batting line during his 14-year major league career.

Reyes will presumably compete with the likes of Hideki Okajima, Scott Atchison, Felix Doubront, Andrew Miller, Rich Hill, Matt Albers and Michael Bowden for one of the final two spots in Boston’s bullpen.

1. cintiphil - Feb 5, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Oh well, there goes another has been we could have feasted off of.

2. uyf1950 - Feb 5, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Reyes, definitely looks like he’s in the best shape of his life. Does anyone else think he looks like Colon? Who by the way is in the best shape of his life.

• pisano - Feb 5, 2011 at 6:42 PM

uyf1950…. how about Reyes and Colon joining Jenny Craig on the buddy plan? maybe they’ll get a discount. Those two resemble Don Zimmer and Tommy (the mouth ) Lasorda when they wore uniforms. Heaven help us.

• bigharold - Feb 5, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Come On Man!!

Where’s the love for big guys? Remember, .. you don’t run that ball over the plate.

• uyf1950 - Feb 5, 2011 at 9:05 PM

pisano, my friend where have you been. Don’t see many of your posts. Are you waiting for the “regular” season? I’m anxious for the season to start.

3. pisano - Feb 6, 2011 at 12:56 AM

uyf1950… I’ve been laying low waiting for Cashman to floor us with a sweet trade.I must admit I was a little upset with not getting JD and instead we get Garcia, but there had to be an uncertainty about JD for them not getting him. I’m just hoping something happens soon!

• uyf1950 - Feb 6, 2011 at 6:11 AM

Like I’ve said my friend keep the faith. If I may parody the comment David Stern once made when asked to list his top 10 on Letterman “what are they going to do watch hockey”. I would only say “what’s the alternative being a Red Sox fan” somewhat sarcastically. Everyone knew what David Stern meant, you get my meaning don’t you?

• pisano - Feb 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Oh yeah, I’d walk through hell with gasoline soaked pants before that would happen. I’m keeping the faith, Cashman won’t sit tight with the pitching he has, but I just get antsy waiting for the move to happen, I know it will happen. I’m sure we as Yankee fans won’t be disappointed, with all the good minor league players the Yankees have in place they’ll overwhelm someone with a nice trade that will help both sides.

• uyf1950 - Feb 6, 2011 at 10:11 AM