Feb 5, 2011, 11:32 AM EST
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports this morning that the Indians are “making progress” in talks with free agent right-hander Kevin Millwood. Indians CEO Paul Dolan would have to approve the signing if it’s a major league deal.
We heard the other day that Millwood was looking for $4-5 million, but that seems highly unlikely. The 36-year-old right-hander went 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA over 31 starts with the Orioles last season.
On the bright side, Millwood has logged at least 190 innings in each of the last two seasons and would likely benefit with a return to the pitcher-friendly Progressive Field. Remember, he led the American League with a 2.86 ERA as a member of the Indians back in 2005.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com notes that the possible addition of Millwood could impact the market for right-hander Jeremy Bonderman, who has also been connected to the Indians in recent weeks.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)