Feb 5, 2011, 11:32 AM EDT
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports this morning that the Indians are “making progress” in talks with free agent right-hander Kevin Millwood. Indians CEO Paul Dolan would have to approve the signing if it’s a major league deal.
We heard the other day that Millwood was looking for $4-5 million, but that seems highly unlikely. The 36-year-old right-hander went 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA over 31 starts with the Orioles last season.
On the bright side, Millwood has logged at least 190 innings in each of the last two seasons and would likely benefit with a return to the pitcher-friendly Progressive Field. Remember, he led the American League with a 2.86 ERA as a member of the Indians back in 2005.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com notes that the possible addition of Millwood could impact the market for right-hander Jeremy Bonderman, who has also been connected to the Indians in recent weeks.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The Lester trade is a win-win 84
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 145
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (146)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)